Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
My son took a chair and put it beside our top-load washing machine. He climbed up the chair and watched through the viewing glass how the machine works. It was swishing the clothes around. Then he exclaimed, "It stopped! Make it spin again, Daddy!"

I said, "No, it's programmed that way. It'll start again, you just wait and see. That's how it washes the clothes. It's just draining the water, but it's going to fill it up again and start spinning again. We don't have do anything. Just let it run its course."

Is the phrase Just let it run its course appropriate in this situation?

Any other corrections? The underlined phrases are of special concern.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My son took a chair and put it beside our top-loading washing machine. He climbed up on the chair and watched through the window to see how the machine works. It was swishing the clothes around. Then he exclaimed, "It stopped! Make it spin again, Daddy!"

I said, "No, it's programmed that way. It'll start again, you just wait and see. That's how it washes the clothes. It's just draining the water, but it's going to fill it up again and start spinning again. We don't have do anything. Just let it run its course."

Is the phrase Just let it run its course appropriate in this situation? Yes. Think of a person running on a race course. To run the entire course is to finish. He's saying, "Let it finish."

Any other corrections? The underlined phrases are of special concern. I've never seen a top-loader with a window. Is there such a thing?

I hope that helps!

curiousmarcus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Samsung-6-2Kg-Fully-Automatic-SDL291934437-1-7572f.jpg

Charlie Bernstein