[General] Is "spare your precious time" a formal English writing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesStephan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Estonian
Home Country
Anguilla
Current Location
United States
Hi all,

Is "spare your precious time" a formal English writing?

This context is:

I ask for my advisor's help to explain a difficult academic question. But he is pretty busy. And I want to be as polite and formal as possible when sending him an email to ask for his help. But I am not sure if it is appropriate to say "I wonder if you can spare your precious time and give me an explanation on this problem."

Thank you so much.

Regards,
JamesStephan

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I wouldn't use it- it could possibly sound a bit sarcastic to some people. How about something like I would be very grateful indeed if you give me an explanation of ...?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't have a problem with the idea of "spare some time" but I agree with Tdol that it might sound sarcastic with "precious". I'd go with "I wonder if you could spare some time to explain ..."

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree about the possibility of being mistaken for sarcasm. Spare collocates strongly with time, and precious collocates strongly with time, but this BNC query shows that "spare * time" is used chiefly when * is an expression of quantity (some, more, any...) or just the.

b

PS re sarcasm:The Dylan song Don't think twice it's all right has a good example of this at the end of the last verse - about 2'50" in, if you don't have enough precious time to listen to it all [no accounting for taste].

Last edited:

JamesStephan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Estonian
Home Country
Anguilla
Current Location
United States
I wouldn't use it- it could possibly sound a bit sarcastic to some people. How about something like I would be very grateful indeed if you give me an explanation of ...?
Hi Tdol,

Yes. It may sound a little bit sarcastic.

I appreciate your response.

J.S.

JamesStephan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Estonian
Home Country
Anguilla
Current Location
United States
I don't have a problem with the idea of "spare some time" but I agree with Tdol that it might sound sarcastic with "precious". I'd go with "I wonder if you could spare some time to explain ..."
Thank you for the reply.

J.S.

JamesStephan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Estonian
Home Country
Anguilla
Current Location
United States
I agree about the possibility of being mistaken for sarcasm. Spare collocates strongly with time, and precious collocates strongly with time, but this BNC query shows that "spare * time" is used chiefly when * is an expression of quantity (some, more, any...) or just the.

b

PS re sarcasm:The Dylan song Don't think twice it's all right has a good example of this at the end of the last verse - about 2'50" in, if you don't have enough precious time to listen to it all [no accounting for taste].
Hi BobK,

Thanks for the reply.

J.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.