Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I know that in some expressions we can use tell without an object (not 'to tell somebody', but just 'to tell'). For example, 'to tell lies', 'to tell the truth' etc. Is it correct to use tell without an object (tell+ somebody) in the following sentences:

Now you can:
- tell how different or similar people are.
- tell a story about Nina and Peter.

(I am writing a textbook for students and I need to sum up the material studied.)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, both endings work after ​Now you can....

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Yes, both endings work after ​Now you can....
And can I say "Please, tell about the differences between English and American homes (or whatever)'?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And can I say "Please, tell about the differences between English and American homes (or whatever)'?

Tell needs a direct object in this usage: Please tell me​ about the differences between English and American homes.

Your original question used tell two different ways: tell the difference and tell something [a story, for example]. When it means say something aloud, it (usually!) requires a direct object. One exception I can think of is the expression Do tell!

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Does it mean that "Now you can tell how different or similar people are" is NOT about a student's ability to say it aloud, it's more about UNDERSTANDING it? These are achivements of a student and the aim of the lesson was to teach a student how to talk (say it aloud) in English about all this. How should we put it so that we could get the intended meaning of 'saying it aloud'. If I got you correctly, 'tell' doesn't mean 'say something aloud' in the following sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.