Question tag — you go there right now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Dear, Barb D
I mean that there is no habit that can be happening only now as "right now" suggests. That's why the present simple is not natural nor grammatical.
I mean in my sentences not the ones that Barb D mentioned.

andi harper

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Azerbaijan
Hi!

Perhaps:

You go there right now, will you?

(Unlikely.)

Hello, Tarheel.

Could you please tell me if this sentence "You go there right now, will you?" is correct or not because I don't really get it from your reply?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I was very surprised by Tarheel's post. As far as I'm concerned, "will you?" would only work as the question tag to "You'll​ go there right now".

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I was very surprised by Tarheel's post. As far as I'm concerned, "will you?" would only work as the question tag to "You'll​ go there right now".
The sentence I gave is merely an imperative started by "you" and you yourself said this in post #5. I will quote it for you:
"It sounds like an order or an imperative. If it's just a statement, it's unnatural in the present tense. "

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've always found the inclusion of a personal pronoun in an imperative very unnatural. I agree entirely that sentences like "Oh, just go to bed, would you?" or "Go to bed, would you?!" are fine but "You go to bed" is clunky.
"You go there right now" sounds awkward to me. If it were "You! Go! Right now!", it would be a natural imperative. "You!" would simply be used to get the attention of the person being addressed.

I think we've seen from various posts in this thread (and others) that most of us would not use a question tag with an imperative (much as I hate to disagree with Swan!)

Last edited:
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
as I hate to disagree with Swan!
It's not only Michael Swan who says this. :) All the ESL learners know that imperatives can simply be tagged.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I think that 'You go to bed, will you?' is both unnatural and unlikely. but a tag with a you-less imperative is fine.
What if someone said it in some cautionary or minatory tone?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I suppose somebody could say:

You go to bed at night, don't you?

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I am impressed, man of manners. You asked that question a day or so ago, That question disappeared and now here it is again, timed some thirty minutes ago.
This is the last question and then, I am done with this thread:
You said, "I think that 'You go to bed, will you?' is both unnatural and unlikely. but a tag with a you-less imperative is fine."
Now, I ask "What if someone said it in some cautionary or minatory tone? ".

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.