Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Original: "Since the club owed $20 and had only $15 in the treasury, there was a deficit of $5 to be made up by the members."

Which of the following is idiomatic, correct and in the same meaning as the original?

1) "Since the club owed $20 and had only $15 in the treasury, there was a deficit of $5 to be completed by the members."

2) "Since the club owed $20 and had only $15 in the treasury, there was a deficit of $5 to be filled by the members."

3) "Since the club owed $20 and had only $15 in the treasury, there was a deficit of $5 to be fulfilled by the members."

4) "Since the club owed $20 and had only $50 in the treasury, there was a deficit of $5 to be made out by the members."

Thank you.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
None of them is correct because the maths is wrong. There's no deficit to make up.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
None of them is correct because the maths is wrong. There's no deficit to make up.

Sorry for it, I have corrected.

Thank you.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I don't think any of them work - certainly not as well as "make/made up". Is there some reason you don't like "made up"?

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I don't think any of them work - certainly not as well as "make/made up". Is there some reason you don't like "made up"?

Complete or fulfill seemed better to me.

Thank you.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
How do you complete a deficit? It's already a complete deficit no matter how much you need to make up.
If you make up the money, you've wiped out the deficit. There is no deficit. That's not a completion. It may be a completion of something else, but not of the deficit. None of them are natural.
You can bring a deficit to surplus if you're the treasurer.

Status
Not open for further replies.