Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Frank grew up in ‘‘a sad household.’’ In the 1930s, Zurich radio was full of Hitler. ‘‘That voice cursing the Jews,’’ he says. ‘‘You couldn’t turn off the voice.’’ Hermann Frank had been an excellent Sunday photographer, but securing the material comforts of Persian carpets and fine goose liver was his priority. ‘‘My father married my mother because of money. It became the most important thing in order for them to feel good. If my father had a good day, dinner would end and my father would take out his wallet and give my mother 100 Swiss francs.’’ Frank was repelled: ‘‘I was driven by negative influence. I wanted to get away.’’ (The Man Who Saw America - Robert Frank)

"He is an excellent Sunday photographer."

What does it mean? Does it mean he only works on weekends?

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's not a common collocation in BrE but I would take it to mean that he only takes photographs on a Sunday.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would understand it to mean he's an amateur photographer.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This was my reading of it as well - he's just a hobby photographer who takes pictures in his spare time, especially on the weekends.

He's pretty good at it, but it's just a hobby.

topman85

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Where did you encounter this sentence, topman?
I've added the paragraph, but I wanted to know if it has any meaning when it is separated or not.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd never heard it before but I agree with the others that he's probably just an amateur/hobby photographer. The only common collocation with "Sunday" in BrE is "Sunday driver", used to refer to people who drive far too slowly, suggesting that they are people who only take their car out once a week and are therefore not very confident/capable drivers.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

I have come across the term "Sunday photographer" and it's my guess that it evolved from the earlier, and in my experience more common, "Sunday painter".
As others have said, it refers to someone who does this thing as a hobby rather than being, or aspiring to be, a professional or full-time practitioner.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/arts/visualarts/article4461577.ece

"I've added the paragraph, but I wanted to know if it has any meaning when it is separated or not."

I would assume this meaning even if I read the phrase separated from the sort of context you've given.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
He's pretty good at it, but it's just a hobby.

Without excellent, it would only imply to me that it was a hobby or that he wasn't professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.