Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
"The total cost of seing a movie at a theater can be represented by the expression a+r where a is the cost of admission and r is the cost
of refreshments."

What does it mean by admission and refreshment for a movie? I understand one pay the admission (fee) when entering the theather but refreshments is confusing. Would you like to explain it?

Source: Algebra 1 by McDougal Littell

Thank you.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
People very often buy something to eat and/or drink (refreshments) during a visit to the theatre. The writer is suggesting that the total cost of a theatre visits includes the costs of both the ticket and the refreshments.
But can people eat or drink something while watching a movie? And can a movie be played in a theater saloon or it should be a cinema saloon?

Thank you.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But can people eat or drink something while watching a movie? And can a movie be played in a theater saloon or it should be a cinema saloon?

It's a theater in AmE and a cinema in BrE. Leave out "saloon", which isn't part of the name.

American movie theaters encourage their patrons to buy overpriced snacks and drinks from their concessions stands and to consume them in the theater.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In fact, the business model relies on the purchase of overpriced snacks. If no one bought snacks, the ticket prices would have to rise.

Watching a movie in a theater without a big bucket of popcorn is practically unthinkable.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
But can people eat or drink something while watching a movie?
Yes — it's encouraged, for the reasons explained above.

What the audience can do while watching a film in a cinema is very different from what they can do in a concert hall, opera house or watching Macbeth in a theatre.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are even a limited number (although that number is slowly growing) where you can purchase alcoholic drinks at the movie theater and drink them during the movie.

I've never been to one that sells alcohol, but if they jack the prices of beer as much as they do the other concessions, I doubt I could afford to buy theater beer anyway.

The price of concessions is one reason many people try to smuggle in drinks and snacks, which of course the theater doesn't want you doing.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
It's a theater in AmE and a cinema in BrE.

What is a theater, which people play a game lively and without a screen, called in U.S? Is it drama?

Thank you.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Yes — it's encouraged, for the reasons explained above.

What the audience can do while watching a film in a cinema is very different from what they can do in a concert hall, opera house or watching Macbeth in a theatre.

Do the sounds occuring when eating or drinking something not annoy others? These sounds might prevent people listen to the voices coming from the movie.

Thank you.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are even a limited number (although that number is slowly growing) where you can purchase alcoholic drinks at the movie theater and drink them during the movie.

I've never been to one that sells alcohol, but if they jack the prices of beer as much as they do the other concessions, I doubt I could afford to buy theater beer anyway.

The price of concessions is one reason many people try to smuggle in drinks and snacks, which of course the theater doesn't want you doing.

I went to such a place once. They actually have a table in front of the seats and also serve bar food (burgers, wings, etc.) as well as beer. Like dinner theater, but with a movie. You order the food you want on the way in, and they bring it out to you shortly before the movie starts. Prices were on par with any sports bar type place, but of course you paid for admission as well.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What is a theater, which people play a game lively and without a screen, called in U.S? Is it drama?

Thank you.

It's not a game, it's called a "play" when people act out scenes on a stage in front of an audience.

Those also take place in a theater. At one time a theater (at least in small towns) had both a stage and a screen, and was used for both purposes.

Nowadays, theaters for showing movies are typically distinct from theaters for live plays.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
It's not a game, it's called a "play" when people act out scenes on a stage in front of an audience.

Those also take place in a theater. At one time a theater (at least in small towns) had both a stage and a screen, and was used for both purposes.

Nowadays, theaters for showing movies are typically distinct from theaters for live plays.

Because we probably cannot say "play a play" I used "play a game" but how can we say it correctly?

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

The place where actors present a play on a stage is also called a theater in AmE. We often say movie theater for a cinema. A few extra words can clarify that we're talking about live theater when that's the subject.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Because we probably we cannot say "play a play" I used "play a game" but how can we say it correctly?

You can say that actors perform a play.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Because we probably we cannot say "play a play" I used "play a game" but how can we say it correctly?

People "put on" a play. Or "perform" a play. Or "present" a play.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do the sounds occuring when eating or drinking something not annoy others? These sounds might prevent people listen to the voices coming from the movie.

Thank you.

I suppose it could. Of course, if you're eating and drinking as well, you're less likely to notice the sounds of others doing the same thing.

In my experience, it's usually not the actual eating that's noisy (unless they're unusually loud eaters), but food packaging/wrapper/bag which is noisy.

It seems like there's always at least one person who makes enough noise opening his candy bar to wake the dead.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
What if only less than 10% percent of audience eating and drinking and if those noisy ones scattered around the others and were annoying others?

There might occur hard arguments, even would culminate in a serious fight.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.