Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
I know that the common pronunciation of the words Portugal and Portuguese is with /tʃ/, but I'd like to know if the pronunciation with /j/ sounds acceptable to native speakers as well.
/'pɔ:tjʊɡəl/
/pɔ:tjʊ'gi:z/

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes, I'd say those pronunciations could sound natural depending on the overall accent of the speaker.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Only the /tʃ/ pronunciation sounds natural to my AmE ears. If I heard a Brit use the other pronunciation, I'd take note that I'd found yet another difference between our dialects.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Head to Forvo and listen to 7 pronunciations by native speakers HERE.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Since I don't do phonetics, can someone put me out of my misery and tell me whether /tj/ equates to "Port-you-guhl" or "Porch-er-guhl" (my attempts at the two ways I might pronounce it)?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ah, interesting. In that case, I wouldn't have said what Tdol did in post #6. Unless I were very carefully enunciating it (in which case I would separate "Port" from "ugal" and use the "you" sound in the middle), it always sounds like it starts with "Porch" when I say it and when any of my friends and family say it.
My pronunciation is on that Forvo page!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
My pronunciation of 'Portuguese' is more toward /tj/ than that of Portugal, which is a definite /tʃ/.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ah, interesting. In that case, I wouldn't have said what Tdol did in post #6. Unless I were very carefully enunciating it (in which case I would separate "Port" from "ugal" and use the "you" sound in the middle), it always sounds like it starts with "Porch" when I say it and when any of my friends and family say it.
My pronunciation is on that Forvo page!

Some more of our British members might want to contribute their versions of Portugal to forvo.com. All the British samples currently up there use the porch​ variation.

Status
Not open for further replies.