Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I did your questionnaire. You should be aware that in some questions there is no suitable choice for those of us who use "absolutely" to mean:

• with no qualification, restriction, or limitation; totally.
    "she trusted him absolutely"
    synonyms:completely, totally, utterly, perfectly, entirely, wholly, fully, quite, thoroughly, unreservedly;More
    not viewed in relation to other things.
    [COLOR=#878787 !important]"white-collar crime increased both absolutely and in comparison with other categories"[/COLOR]

"Absolutely" is not used by everyone to mean "comparatively" ('very' as you say).

PS: You'll probably find that it is older speakers who cannot fill out your form - those who don't even use 'absolutely' to mean 'yes'.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've done it too but I was distracted by errors in spacing around punctuation (you have put a space before each exclamation mark), and also noted that the very first choice I was given gave me the choice of two sentences I wouldn't use. There should have been a third choice marked "Neither of these" or "Neither, but I would use ..." and we should be able to add our own response.
I'm referring to Q4. I would never say "That movie was so great!" or "That movie was absolutely great!" on exiting the cinema. If my friend asked my opinion, I would simply say "It was great!"

Status
Not open for further replies.