Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello
I really hope I can get some help in this thread or I will be redirected to another source. What I need is to edit my subtitles to Speakout Elementary Video Podcast Unit 8 Now (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rg8KTrvBcM) . I've written them by myself. However, I'm not making any progress in terms of perceiving several phrases any more. I would be pleased to receive some ideas from native speakers. Thank you in advance. This is my transcript:
Speakout Elementary Video Podcast Unit 8 Now​
I love films. I love going to the cinema. I go at least once a week. How about you? How often do you go to the cinema? - On average probably once a month. - I like going to the cinema a lot but I probably only get there about once a month. - Not very often but I do go occassionally. - I get the cinema probably once or twice a month. - I go to the cinema about once a week during the summertime usually when there are the best movies. - We probably go together maybe one-two (?) fortnight. - I go normally probably once every month, two months but it depends on the film. -I go to the cinema about once a fortnight. Often I go on Wednesday because we ________free cinema tickets (?!). Like take a friend with me. I went to the cinema last night and saw a film called “The Proposal”. It was great. How about you? What was the last film you saw? - The last one I saw was “Bruno” with Sacha Baron Cohen. - The last film I saw was a series “Star Trek”, the most recent “Star Trek”, I mean “Star Trek 5”. - We went to “Slumdog millionare”. We enjoyed a great deal of __________ India a couple of times we’ve been travelling.(?) We thought it was very realistic and brought back memories of India. - Last film was James Bond film “Quantum of Solace” which wasn’t as good as the first version but this film was a sequel too (?). But it was still very good. - The last film I saw was a film called “The Departed”. It was directed by Martin Scorcese and the acting which is absolutely fantastic you know. What kinds of films do you like? - I always like romantic comedies. “Slumdog millionare” was a great movie. “Australia” was a movie I saw recently which was really good. - Probably recommend the new “Terminator” movie.It _____________ the action is very exciting. - I like old films. And I’ve a complete collection of __________ Charlton Heston and musicals anything else _____ (?) adventures that takes me away from real life. Those are the ones I watch. - I saw “The Proposal” not long ago and I really liked it. It’s really interesting funny romantic comedy. - “Sweeney Todd” I really enjoyed with Johnny Depp simply because he was fantastic and Helen Bonham Carter, one of my favourite actresses, was also very good. -I recommend “The Graduate”. I enjoyed that as a young man and grown up as well and I guess coming of age form. -My favourite film is “Golden Eye”. It’s James Bond film and I think the action scenes are just absolutely fantastic. Who is your favourite actor? -John ? is my favourite actor. - My favourite actor is the new James Bond Daniel Craig. I think he’s very good at showing emotions in these films. My favourite actress is called Angelina Jolie. She’s very beautiful but she also played lots of different roles in films. - My favourite actor is Johnny Depp because I think he’s funny. I think he’s lively and he always has energy on the stage. - My favourite actor is Brad Pitt. He’s very good-looking and can play many different roles and he’s very talented. My favourite film star is Robert De Niro because I look like him.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Why do you need to edit these subtitles? Who is making you do it?

Alimdul

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Nobody is actually making me but in order to maintain my English I watch this podcast. I also help learn English my husband and one more adult. I've been working out through all these videos from starter level. They don't include advanced vocabulary. On the other hand, the pace of speech, blending of the sounds and personal peculiarities occassionally make it difficult to understand the content. I don't always write the entire script but this episode turned out to be quite tricky. I guess partly because you need to know all this cultural background. Of course I'm aware it's much easier to listen to audio from textbooks. Yet I try to push myself a little bit out of my comfort zone.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They don't look like subtitles to me. Instead, they look like snippets of conversation. And that is one really long paragraph.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

I wrote them myself.

(You wrote them without any help. Nobody else wrote them.)

And:

However, I'm not making any progress in terms of perceiving several phrases.

Alimdul

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
If you follow the link in the initial post you'll find out that these are definitely snippets of conversations recorded by BBC journalists in London. The trouble is that I don't understand some of the words or phrases, which I indicated with my "?" and "____________".

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
Good evening Alimdul.

I hope the following is of some use.

We probably go together, maybe once a fortnight.

Often I go on a Wednesday because we get 'buy one get one free' cinema tickets, so I can take a friend with me.

We enjoyed that a great deal. We've been to India a couple of times. We do a bit of travelling and we thought it was very realistic and brought back memories of India.

The last film was a James Bond film, Quantum of Solace. It wasn't as good as the first version that this film was the sequel to, but it was still very good.

I'd probably recommend the new Terminator movie. It's once again full of action. Very exciting.

I like old films. I've a complete collection of John Wayne and Charlton Heston, and musicals. Anything that's quite happy or adventurous that takes me away from real life. Those are the ones to watch.

I'd recommend The Graduate. I enjoyed that as a young man and growing up as well, and maybe it's a coming of age film.

My favourite film is called Goldeneye. It's a James Bond film and I think the action scenes are just absolutely fantastic in it.

John Wayne is my favourite actor.

My favourite actor is the new James Bond, Daniel Craig. I think he's very good at showing emotions in his films.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is that a British English thing to use "I've" with the "have" in "I've" being the main verb?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

I also help my husband and one other adult learn English.

No likes for me?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I suggest that you avoid the use of the word "actually". I recommend that you take it out of any sentence you see it in and only put it back in if you decide it is truly necessary.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

I go to the cinema once or twice a month.

(The British go to the cinema, but Americans go to the movies.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

We probably go together maybe one or two times a fortnight.

You probably missed a word there (times).

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

I normally go once every month or two, but it depends on the film.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I haven't clicked on any links.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Two things.

1. Space between paragraphs.
2. Make paragraphs.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

My favorite actor is Johnny Depp, because he's funny.

Alimdul

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
You've been so helpful. I particularly appreciate this place with 'buy one get one free' cinema tickets and surname Wayne. They were the toughest ones for me. (for Eckaslike)

Last edited:

Alimdul

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Initially there were paragraphs in my word document but when I copied the text into my post they disappeared. I must have done something wrong. It's lack of forum experience I'm afraid.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Once you've posted, look back at the post. If it doesn't look how you want it to look, click on Edit Post and make the necessary changes, then click Save. "Copy and paste" doesn't work particularly well here so if you've pasted something, you'll almost certainly need to edit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.