Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi,

I am reading a novel, and came across the following lines. Could you please help me with understanding of the underlined line?

If we were a people much given to revealing secrets, we might raise monuments and sacrifice to the memories of our poets, but slavery cured us of that weakness. It may be enough, however, to have it said that we survive in exact relationship to the dedication of our poets (include preachers, musicians and blues singers).

Regards,

Kiran

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Re: Meaning of a sentence from a novel

You have the advantage of knowing the title of the novel, and the author. Could you share that with us?

kiranlegend

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Yes. The name of the book is "I know why the caged bird sings." The author's name is Maya Angelou.

Regarding my question: My understanding of the line is by not being in the position of displaying the affection towards their poets, it is limited to inner acknowledgement to the poets' work. Did I get it right?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

I'm not sure; it's a tough line. I think it means that a people (a race) survives to the extent that their poets, etc. are productive (dedicated).
Alternatively, it might have something to do with the people being dedicated to their poets, etc.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Please note that I have changed your thread title.

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Yes. The name of the book is "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings." The author's name is Maya Angelou.

Remember to capitalise the first letter of each word in titles, with the exception of some small words like "of", "a", "an" and, in this case, "the". Of course, if any of those words is the first word of the title, it must also be capitalised.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

I'm not sure; it's a tough line. I think it means that a people (a race) survives to the extent that their poets, etc. are productive (dedicated).
Alternatively, it might have something to do with the people being dedicated to their poets, etc.

The paragraph before suggests to me that it is the former:

Oh, Black known and unknown poets, how often have your auctioned pains sustained us? Who will compute the lonely nights made less lonely by your songs, or by the empty pots made less tragic by your tales?
http://genius.com/Maya-angelou-i-know-why-the-caged-bird-sings-chapter-23-annotated

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Yes, it's amazing what a little research can do. I must have had enough of my own to do at the time.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

I had a quiet moment. ;-)

Status