Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
Chile
Hello.

Are the following sentences grammatically correct?

"Kevin and Kelly walked, looking for the light switch of the theather. The theater hall was being repaired, with some missing pieces of the wood of the floor and exposed iron nails. After a couple of minutes walking, Kevin stopped and looked to several hallways of the theater, trying to decide which way to go in order to find the light switch and shut down all the lights in the place."

Thanks.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hello.

Are the following sentences grammatically correct?

"Kevin and Kelly[STRIKE] walked,[/STRIKE] went around looking for the light switch (is there only one switch?) of the [STRIKE]theather[/STRIKE] theatre/theater. The theater hall was being repaired, with some missing pieces of[STRIKE] the[/STRIKE] wood [STRIKE]of [/STRIKE] lying on the floor [STRIKE]and [/STRIKE] with exposed iron nails. After looking around for a couple of minutes [STRIKE]walking[/STRIKE], Kevin stopped and[STRIKE] looked to[/STRIKE] saw several [STRIKE]hallways[/STRIKE] aisles [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] in the theater,[STRIKE] trying[/STRIKE] and he had to decide which way to [STRIKE]go[/STRIKE] take in order to find the light switch [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] to [STRIKE]shut down[/STRIKE] switch off all the lights [STRIKE]in the place[/STRIKE]."

Thanks.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

Nikitus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
Chile
Dear tedmc and teechar:

First of all, thanks for your help.

"with some missing pieces of the wood of the floor and exposed iron nails."

I wanted to write the following: The floor is made by wood. There were used a lot of rectangular pieces of wood to making it. Some of the rectangular pieces of the wood
had detached and lost. And also there were exposed iron nails in the floor.

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear tedmc and teechar:

I wanted to write the following: The floor is made [STRIKE]by[/STRIKE] of wood. [STRIKE]There were used[/STRIKE] A lot of rectangular pieces of wood were used to [STRIKE]making[/STRIKE] make it. Some of the rectangular pieces of the wood had become detached and been lost. [STRIKE]And[/STRIKE] Also, there were exposed iron nails in the floor.

Thanks.

Note my corrections above. The problem with your original was that you said there were "missing pieces of wood on the floor". They can't be both missing and present.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Dear tedmc and teechar:

I wanted to write the following: The floor is made by wood. There were used a lot of rectangular pieces of wood to making it. Some of the rectangular pieces of the wood
had detached and lost. And also there were exposed iron nails [STRIKE]in [/STRIKE]on the floor.

Thanks.

I think it is more likely that the exposed nails are parts of the pieces of wood lying on the floor(which pose a danger) rather than nails lying loosely.

Status
Not open for further replies.