Two days a week off at a company rotational or fixed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
If I start working at your company which is a five days working company will you provide me two days a week off at the weekends? Or are the offs going to be at random or rotational? (I mean are offs not going to be on fixed days? Like for one week getting offs on Monday and Tuesday next week getting offs on Wednesday and Thursday). Do you also provide one day a week off to employees?

Please check.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm really not convinced this is a real-life situation but I'm going to give it a shot!

Tufguy, your post was messy, awkward and overly wordy. Is that really what you would write in your own language if you were writing this letter? I very much doubt that it is. I have assumed that the writer has already been offered a position at the company. This is what I would write:

Dear Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms [surname]

Thank you for offering me the position of XXX at [name of company].

I understand that the position involves working five days per week. Could you clarify if those working days are always Monday to Friday or is there scope for taking days off during the week? Also, I would be interested to know if it is possible to work a six-day week.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely

[your name]

If this is a general enquiry being made before applying for a job (or before being offered a position), I would write:

Dear Sir/Madam or Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms [surname]

I am interested in working for your company. However, before I apply for the position of [job being advertised], I would appreciate it if you would clarify the situation with regard to the working schedule. Do employees work Monday to Friday every week or is there scope for flexibility in the schedule?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely

[your name]

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Off is not normally a countable noun, nor does it mean "day off".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't entirely agree, in BrE at least. I have heard/used "How many offs will I get?" or "I've used all my offs for this month". It's not all that common, I admit, but it can be used. However, I don't suggest for one moment that learners try to use it.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I'm really not convinced this is a real-life situation but I'm going to give it a shot!

Tufguy, your post was messy, awkward and overly wordy. Is that really what you would write in your own language if you were writing this letter? I very much doubt that it is.

[your name][/I]

Thanks for your help but I received a call from a company and I wanted to ask it over the call. I do not have to write a letter but what is the proper way of asking this over the phone or in person? (I think "In person" is the correct word to use here).

Can we also say "Do employees get one day a week off at XYZ?"

"if it is possible to work a six-day week" it is confusing for me "a six-day week".

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Are the days off fixed or do they vary from week to week?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for your help but I received a call from a company and I wanted to ask [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] the question over the [STRIKE]call[/STRIKE] phone. I do not have to write a letter [STRIKE]but[/STRIKE] ​so what is the proper way of asking this over the phone or in person? (I think "in person" is the correct [STRIKE]word[/STRIKE] phrase to use here.)
It would have been helpful to know in post #1 that you wanted to ask this over the phone or in person.

Can we also say "Do employees get one day a week off at XYZ?"
​Yes, you can, as long as you want to know if they get only one day off a week. If you're not sure how many days off are given, then ask "How many days off do employees get each week?"

"if it is possible to work a six-day week" [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] is confusing for me. What is "a six-day week"?
A six-day week is a working week in which employees work six days and get one day off.

See above.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Off is not normally a countable noun, nor does it mean "day off".

I don't entirely agree, in BrE at least. I have heard/used "How many offs will I get?" or "I've used all my offs for this month". It's not all that common, I admit, but it can be used. However, I don't suggest for one moment that learners try to use it.

So please tell me what is the way to use it properly?

Apparently off can mean "day off" in British English. If it's also used that way in Indian English, you can ask How many offs do I get per week? as you wrote. In AmE, you would ask ​How many days off do we get per week?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
If I start working at your company which is a five days working company (can we say "Five days working company?) will I get two days a week off at the weekends? Or are the offs going to be at random or rotational (How about random or roational?)? (I mean are offs not going to be on fixed days? Like for one week getting offs on Monday and Tuesday next week getting offs on Wednesday and Thursday).

Now you know I am not going to write a letter so could you please amend these sentences so that I can understand better?

It is good for me that you told me about the flexibility of the schedule. But could you please amend these please?

Last edited:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

I have specific questions about the sentences I asked. I have heard people say "XYZ is a five days working company" so I don't know whether Indians are saying it or is it used by the Brits and Americans as well? So this is what I want to know if you could please help me? I know EMS has already told me that it is nor written correctly. She told me few more things but could you please make corrections to my sentences so that I can learn better? It is very trick and confusing for me.

I start working at your company which is a five days working company (can we say "Five days working company?) will I get two days a week off at the weekends? Or are "the offs" or "the days off" going to be at random or rotational (How about random or roational?)? (I mean are offs not going to be on fixed days? Like for one week getting offs on Monday and Tuesday next week getting offs on Wednesday and Thursday).

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have specific questions about the sentences I asked. I have heard people say "XYZ is a five days working company" so I don't know whether Indians are saying it or is it used by the Brits and Americans as well?

It's definitely not used in British English.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Nor in American English.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Brits, as far as I know, say what I said.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Nor in American English.

But what words should be used for "A five days working company"? Can we say "Can we get offs on weekdays as well as per the company's requirement"? And how about "Do employees get offs a week at random as well (I mean without informing before)?"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Have you read all the responses carefully? We have given you natural ways of asking what you want to ask.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Have you even looked at the responses? You seem to be quoting the same gibberish when you have been given neater possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.