[Essay] people do not have such a close relationship with their neighbours as they did in the

Status
Not open for further replies.

newkeenlearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
United States
hi everyone,

Could anyone proofread this piece of writing for correcting any mistakes?

In general, people do not have such a close relationship with their neighbours as they did in the past.
Why is this so, and what can be done to improve contact between neighbours?

In the past, neighbours formed an important part of people's social lives and they helped them when they had problems. Nowadays, people often do not even know their neighbours and in consequence they live much more isolated lives.

There are a number of reasons why we have less contact with our neighbours. Firstly, our lifestyles are more mobile. This means people may change the area where they live quite frequently and this causes their relationships with their neighbours to be more superficial. Secondly, nowadays people often live and work in different places. This leads to people forming closer relationships with work colleagues than the ones they have with their neighbours. Finally, modern lifestyles make us spend more time inside our houses watching television, and when we go out, we travel by car. Consequently, we do not speak to the people in our neighbourhood so much.

There are a number of ways in which I think contact between neighbours can be improved. First of all, local authorities can provide communal areas such as playgrounds for children and community halls so that there are places where neighbours can meet and make friends. Next, I think that when new neighbours come to a street, the people living there ought to introduce themselves and welcome them. Lastly, people living in a street or small district should form neighbourhood associations and meet regularly to discuss the things which affect them.

In conclusion, these suggestions will probably not make neighbours as important in our lives as they were in the past. However, they will help our relationships with our neighbours to become more useful and valuable.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi everyone,

Could anyone proofread this piece of writing for correcting any mistakes?

In general, people do not have such a close relationship with their neighbours as they did in the past.
Why is this so, and what can be done to improve contact between neighbours?

In the past, neighbours formed an important part of people's social lives, and neighbouts [STRIKE]they[/STRIKE] helped each other in difficult situations. [STRIKE]them when they had problems.[/STRIKE] Nowadays, people often do not even know their neighbours, and [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] as a consequence, they live much more isolated lives.

There are a number of reasons why we have less contact with our neighbours. Firstly, our lifestyles are more mobile. This means people may change the area where they live [STRIKE]quite[/STRIKE] more frequently than did previous generations, and this causes their relationships with their neighbours to be more superficial. Secondly, nowadays people often live and work in different places. This leads to people forming closer relationships with work colleagues than [STRIKE]the ones they have[/STRIKE] with their neighbours. Finally, modern lifestyles make us spend more time [STRIKE]inside our houses[/STRIKE] indoors, watching television, and when we go out, we travel by car. Consequently, we do not speak to the people in our neighbourhood so much.

There are a number of ways in which I think contact between neighbours can be improved. First of all, local authorities can provide communal areas such as playgrounds for children and community halls so that there are places where neighbours can meet and make friends. Next, I think that when new neighbours move in, [STRIKE]come to a street,[/STRIKE] the people living [STRIKE]there[/STRIKE] close by ought to introduce themselves and welcome them. Lastly, people [STRIKE]living in a street or small district[/STRIKE] should form neighbourhood associations and meet regularly to discuss the things which affect them.

In conclusion, [STRIKE]these suggestions will probably not make[/STRIKE] people's relations with their neighbours are probably not as important [STRIKE]in our lives [/STRIKE]
as they were in the past, mainly because of today's changed lifestyle. However, communal areas and neighbourhood associations can help bring neighbours closer. [STRIKE]they will help our relationships with our neighbours to become more useful and valuable.[/STRIKE]

newkeenlearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
United States
Thanks, teechar.
Can I ask a question?

Firstly, our lifestyles are more mobile. This means people may change the area where they live more frequently than did previous generations, and this causes their relationships with their neighbors to be more superficial.
can we rewrite the correction in the following way?

This means people may change the area where they live more frequently than previous generations did, and this causes their relationships with their neighbors to be more superficial.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Yes, you can. I've just noticed that the sentence would be better without "the area."

yi-ing

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Can I ask some questions?Is it possible if we rewrite these sentences in the following way?
Nowadays, people often do not even know their neighbours.
Nowadays, people often do not even know who their neighbours are, and when they move to a new address.

This leads to people forming closer relationships with work colleagues than with their neighbours.

This leads to people who form closer relationships with work colleagues than they do with their neighbours.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Nowadays, people often do not even know who their neighbours are, [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] nor when they moved in. [STRIKE]to a new address.[/STRIKE]

I prefer the original.

This leads to people who form closer relationships with work colleagues than they do with their neighbours.
That's unnatural (it almost implies the formation of a new type of person) and lacks parallelism.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There's a difference between knowing who your neighbours are and knowing your neighbours. For example, I know the names and nationalities (or at least the ancestry) of the two people who live in the flat next to me (their names appear on their mail which comes through the communal letterbox and they both have surnames which give me a very strong clue to where in the world they hail from). So I know who they are.
However, I've never spoken to either of them. I hear them going in and out of their flat and of the building but we have different schedules so we have never actually met. On that basis, I definitely don't know them.

Status
Not open for further replies.