[Idiom] Here you are! (The beer you ordered is ready.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I found an example of "here you are" used just to attract the listener's attention as in the following example. It seems to me that it is an example of a linguistic "dead letter" after a long use.

1. You say you want to buy a car, but, here you are, you’ve still not got enough money.

Inase

In your example, "here you are" is not used to attract the person's attention. It states a factual situation that at this time you still don't have the money to buy the car you want.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think I took it wrong from the text (formula) below following the link you provided.

I already showed you the quote that I thought was useful for you in my post. The link I provided is the source of that quote but the people who post there are from different backgrounds and are not always correct.

inase

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
In your example, "here you are" is not used to attract the person's attention. It states a factual situation that at this time you still don't have the money to buy the car you want.

Do you mean to say the speaker says something like "in view of your current situation" by "here you are?"

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you mean to say the speaker says something like "in view of your current situation" by "here you are?"

Yes.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status
Not open for further replies.