Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi everyone, I have a question. Suppose a police officer is investigating a crime and asking suspects regarding the crime. He asks a person who is going somewhere "who are you?" But the person doesn't answer. Then he stops the person and says "are you deaf? I asked who you are/were.

'Is' or 'are': which one should be used in the context?

And one more thing, If I there are grammatical errors in the question I have asked, correct it too, please. I will learn from it.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
'Were' should be used. Or, if you really have an aversion to backshifting, you can use 'are'.

subhajit123

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
'Were' should be used. Or, if you really have an aversion to backshifting, you can use 'are'.

Hi Raymott, are there any grammatical errors in the way I have asked the question? If there are, Can you please restructure the question? I think this is not the way a native speaker would describe the scenario I have described in the question. please correct it too if there are. I'll try to learn from it.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Correction:
"Suppose a police officer is investigating a crime and
asking suspects [STRIKE]regarding[/STRIKE] about the crime. He asks a person who is going somewhere "Who are you?" But the person doesn't answer. Then he stops the person and says "Are you deaf? I asked who you are/were."

Should I use 'are' or 'were' in this context?
And one more thing - if [STRIKE]I[/STRIKE] there are any grammatical errors in the question I have asked, correct them too, please. I will learn from them.

PS: You don't have to use a dash, but you can't follow a comma with a new sentence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.