Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I am wondering if my sentence is grammatically correct.

As the guests talked lively around the table, Bob clinked his glass with a teaspoon to announce his speech.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
"Lively" is not an adverb, Bassim. Try again.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I have to admit I am not sure if I know how to make an adverb of lively. But let me try.

Could I write like this:

As the guests talked in a lively manner around the table....

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Or maybe "As the guests had a lively discussion/conversation/debate around the table ...". You could also put "at the table" directly after "As the guests".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The adverb livelily does exist but is nothing like as popular as it was 200 years ago and is best avoided.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Maybe this is a cultural difference but I don't know what a teaspoon is. I'm only aware of the measuring spoon.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Here's a cup and saucer with a teaspoon:

images

I know you have them in America.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I know you have them in America.

Just from the name, I would guess it is a small spoon you use for tea. As you know we don't usually accurately name our silverware. Here are a few names I have heard "coffee spoon", "dessert spoon", "small spoon." I'm pretty sure I have also heard "butter spoon". The only thing that we name accurately is the teaspoon we use for measuring.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And the 15,000+ citations in COCA.

If you click on the word itself, you will find out the majority of the citations are related to recipes that call for a measured teaspoon.

Lynxear

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Maybe this is a cultural difference but I don't know what a teaspoon is. I'm only aware of the measuring spoon.

A teaspoon is a unit of measure for baking specifically and cooking in general. It is the small spoon used to stir coffee or tea. It might not be an American custom but In Canada during wedding receptions, the clinking of a glass or teacup with a teaspoon is used to call the room to attention. Sometimes it is used when the toasts to the bride and groom are made. At other times it is used to make the bride and groom rise from their seats and kiss each other in front of the audience. This can happen over and over again until everyone gets tired of it.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm certainly aware of the tradition of clinking glasses and making the bride and groom kiss. At least in the US people use forks, spoons, other glasses, and pretty much anything to create that clinking sound. I have never been to a wedding where people specifically ask for a teaspoon to clink glasses. If they do want a spoon, they will ask for a spoon but not a teaspoon.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Out of curiosity, andrewg, even though you don't drink tea much (!), what do you call the small spoon you use to spoon sugar into a coffee, or the spoon you use to stir your coffee once you've added the milk?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Out of curiosity, andrewg, even though you don't drink tea much (!), what do you call the small spoon you use to spoon sugar into a coffee, or the spoon you use to stir your coffee once you've added the milk?

It's a teaspoon to me.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Frankly I just grab whatever closest to me and that includes fork, spoon, knife, or straw (!) to stir my coffee. I know there are two sets of spoons. The big ones and the small ones. If I want a smaller spoon, I will ask for a "smaller spoon" or a "small spoon".

I do drink tea sometimes (!) and I like Arizona sweet tea (which I can imagine is very different from the kind of tea you drink).

Lynxear

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I'm certainly aware of the tradition of clinking glasses and making the bride and groom kiss. At least in the US people use forks, spoons, other glasses, and pretty much anything to create that clinking sound. I have never been to a wedding where people specifically ask for a teaspoon to clink glasses. If they do want a spoon, they will ask for a spoon but not a teaspoon.

A teaspoon or desert spoon is usually part of the cutlery at a wedding reception for each diner. They don't request a special spoon as such. If the spoon is missing they will use a knife or fork as you point out. The object of the game is to sort of embarrass the bride and groom, although many enjoy it and act out a passionate kissing scene to the delight of onlookers.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Fine silverware sets include 'sugar spoons' and 'salt spoons'. This is what I would use if the occasion called for such finery. But obviously not the salt spoon for tea.

I have seen such spoons before. After all they are just spoons. It's certainly more fancy to attach certain names to their functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.