Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I noticed you don't mark out words when they're presented as a linguistic particle, as 'the' in "article the"(not "article 'the' " as I would expect). Are there rules to that?
Just I'm reading e-version of Collins Grammar, and sometimes this sameness makes me read the sentence couple more times. And I'm wondering if it's normal to write this way (and in what type of text?).

Quaentor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Welcome to the forum, Quaentor. :hi:
Thank you

Could you please provide a link to one of the sentences that is puzzling you. I am not sure in what context you have seen 'article the'.
Well, I can only quote. But I couldn't find the exact same phrase or the one making me puzzling it out.
Quote: "Sometimes in English the determiner the is used...".
Yet, here's a link to a page with a headline with the same thing.

Or do I not really understand that?

Quaentor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
That is not the natural correct way to write this. I recommend that you do not the same.
Thanks.
Just wanted to make sure, because it's really weird to see such a sentence in such a book. (But probably they have had some marking which had disappeared in digitization)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Let's hope that it was a transcription error. Even so, someone publishing a grammar site should review all content extremely carefully first. The same error occurs in a later example, referring to the noun camel.

Status
Not open for further replies.