Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The doctors have asked me to wash my scalp every alternate day (using a shampoo that treats Psoriasis). The body of a patient with Psoriasis produces three times as many dead cells as the body of a normal person.

1) There shouldn't be a long gap between your two scalp wash.

2) How much gap should be left between two head wash.

3) There shouldn't be a gap of more than one day between two head wash.

These sentences don't seem very natural. I don't know what to use instead of "two scalp wash" and "two head wash" here.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The doctors have asked me to wash my scalp every alternate day (using a shampoo that treats psoriasis). The body of a patient with psoriasis produces three times as many dead cells as the body of a normal person.

1) There shouldn't be a long gap between your two scalp washes.

2) How much gap should be left between two head washes?

3) There shouldn't be a gap of more than one day between two head washes.

These sentences don't seem very natural. I don't know what to use instead of "two scalp wash" and "two head wash" here.

They're not natural. I can't really see why you need to say any of them. The instruction is perfectly expressed by "Wash your scalp every other day".
It's not "every alternate day" - if you want to use "alternate", say "Wash your scalp on alternate days".

If you really must use your other phrases, it would be "between two scalp washes".

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
They're not natural. I can't really see why you need to say any of them. The instruction is perfectly expressed by "Wash your scalp every other day".
It's not "every alternate day" - if you want to use "alternate", say "Wash your scalp on alternate days".

If you really must use your other phrases, it would be "between two scalp washes".

Isn't there any natural way of saying this? If I have to tell this to someone then what do I need to say?

"The body of a patient with Psoriasis produces three times as many dead cells as the body of a normal person." Is this sentence correct?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"The body of a patient with Psoriasis produces three times as many dead cells as the body of a normal person." Is this sentence correct?

It's okay, but psoriasis is not a proper noun. This is shorter and, I think, more accurate: Psoriasis patients produce three times as many dead skin cells as other people.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If you have to wash your hair every other day for medical reasons, there shouldn't be any gap longer than that.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
If you have to wash your hair every other day for medical reasons, there shouldn't be any gap longer than that.

Could you please tell the natural way of saying this to me "there shouldn't be a long gap between your two scalp washes"?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Could you please tell me the natural way of saying this? [strike]to me[/strike] "There shouldn't be a long gap between your two scalp washes."
You shouldn't wait too long between scalp treatments. "Scalp washes" sounds weird to me. I assume the patient is using a medicated cleanser on the scalp, so "treatments" works.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
You shouldn't wait too long between scalp treatments. "Scalp washes" sounds weird to me. I assume the patient is using a medicated cleanser on the scalp, so "treatments" works.

But treatment for scalp wash doesn't it sound weird?

You shouldn't wait long between scalp washes.

Could you please tell me the natural way of saying this? You have always told me that we should be saying "could you please tell it to me" then why "tell me" here?

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. But doesn't "treatment" for "scalp wash" [STRIKE]doesn't it[/STRIKE] sound weird?

2. You shouldn't wait long between scalp washes.

3. Could you please tell me the natural way of saying this? You have always told me that we should [STRIKE]be saying[/STRIKE] say "Could you please tell it to me" then why is it "tell me" here?

I have numbered your points so it's easier to respond.

1. No, "treatment" doesn't sound weird at all. The shampoo (scalp wash) is designed to "treat" psoriasis so it is a treatment.
2. "You shouldn't wait long" is too non-specific. The doctor will tell you how often to use the wash.
3. I don't know who you think told you to say "tell it to me". I have never advised anyone to say that. The natural way to say it in English is "Please tell me ...".

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I have numbered your points so it's easier to respond.

1. No, "treatment" doesn't sound weird at all. The shampoo (scalp wash) is designed to "treat" psoriasis so it is a treatment.
2. "You shouldn't wait long" is too non-specific. The doctor will tell you how often to use the wash.
3. I don't know who you think told you to say "tell it to me". I have never advised anyone to say that. The natural way to say it in English is "Please tell me ...".

Okay, that was "explain it to me".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Okay, that was "explain it to me".

Yes, that is correct.

Please tell me. :tick:
Please tell it to me. This is grammatically correct in some contexts but usually there is no reason to use it instead of "Please tell me".
Please tell me how to do it. :tick:

Please explain me. :cross:
Please explain it to me. :tick:
Please explain to me how to do it. :tick:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Could you please tell the natural way of saying this to me "there shouldn't be a long gap between your two scalp washes"?

We know the exact time so use that. How about:

You should wash your hair every other day to treat this. Follow the doctor's instructions and don't leave a longer gap between washes.

Status
Not open for further replies.