I need to relocate just a few kilometers from my home. It doesn't make sense to me. I

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The following is a piece of conversation between an interviewer and a candidate.

An interviewer to a candidate: In order to join our company you need to relocate near company. Within a radius of five kilometers.
Candidate: I am from here (from this place). I haven't come from other place. I have my own home here just twelve kilometers from your company.
Interviewer: But you will need to relocate if you want to work with us. Please rent a flat here.
Candidate: I need to relocate just a few kilometers from my home. It doesn't make sense to me. I can't sorry.

Please check my sentences.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Things may be different in India.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The following is a conversation between an interviewer and a job seeker.

Interviewer: In order to join our company you need to relocate near the company. Within a radius of five kilometers.
Candidate: I am from here. I live
just twelve kilometers from your company.
Interviewer: But you will need to relocate if you want to work with us. Please rent a flat here.
Candidate: I need to relocate just a few kilometers from my home? It doesn't make sense to me. I can't do that. Sorry.

Please note the changes.

Last edited:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The conversation is so unnatural that it is not worth dealing with.

A company cannot normally decree where an employee lives.

It sometimes happens here because the companies do provide transportation facility to employees. If any candidate lives in an area where they do not provide the transportation facility then they ask that employee to relocate if they want to avail themself of this facility.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
And prohibit them from travelling any other way?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In the UK, the idea that a company can tell me to move house simply so that I can get a company bus to work doesn't make sense.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
In the UK, the idea that a company can tell me to move house simply so that I can get a company bus to work doesn't make sense.

They don't get picked up by bus. You are picked up and dropped at home daily by a car. They don't want you to restrict from travelling any other way. If you can commute it is fine. It usually doesn't happen that company asks you to relocate.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Does it happen often enough, and do you have to discuss it with native English speakers often enough, to make it worth anyone's while continuing with this thread?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Does it happen often enough, and do you have to discuss it with native English speakers often enough, to make it worth anyone's while continuing with this thread?

Yes, of course. Although I don't need to discuss it with native speakers but yes, I sometimes need to talk about this to recruiters. You always say I should ask about real situations and the things I need to say. It can happen.

Could you please tell me what does it "to make it worth anyone's while continuing with this thread" mean?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
She is asking, I think, if there is any reason to keep this thread open. As you have had the questions you raised on this thread answered to your satisfaction, I think not.

Status
Not open for further replies.