How to pronounce " I don't know " in American's real life ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MennaHisham

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I was watching Zayn Malik's song " Dusk till Dawn " on YouTube, then at the middle of the clip he said to the police man " I don't know ", but I couldn't clearly hear, How he pronounced that sentence. So I wanna know, How can I pronounce it ?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I was watching the video to Zayn Malik's song "Dusk till Dawn" on YouTube. [STRIKE]then[/STRIKE][STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] In the middle of the clip, he said to [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a policeman "I don't know", but I couldn't clearly hear (no comma here) how he pronounced that sentence. [STRIKE]So[/STRIKE] I [STRIKE]wanna[/STRIKE] want to know (no comma here) how [STRIKE]can I[/STRIKE] to pronounce it. [STRIKE]?[/STRIKE]

Please note my corrections above. Don't leave a space after opening quotation marks. Don't leave a space before closing quotation marks. We don't use a capital letter after a comma unless the next word is a proper noun.

I don't really understand your question. Are you saying that you don't know how to say "I don't know" aloud?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Americans may pronounce I don't know as "I dunno" or "I doan' know" depending on context. We may answer "I dunno" when asked Where'd you leave the keys? ("Where did you leave the keys?") If the verb needs a little emphasis, we'll use the other pronunciation: I don't know anything about that is likely to come out "I doan'know". The apostrophe represents a glottal stop.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When I lived in New York, lots of people just said "Dunno."

And when I was a kid in southern Ohio, people said "Ah dunno" to rhyme with "Bad uh no."

Status
Not open for further replies.