Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Kurdish
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Germany
I was asked: what is the comparative of well-educated? My answer was as follows:

1. well-educated, well-dressed are hyphenated adjectives from the adverb well referring to a participle adjective educated or dressed , should be taken as a unit therefore if you say (better educated) you break the unit. The better alternative would be (more experienced or talented) although I know these words do not necessarily have the same meaning, so it is a compromise. In my opinion there is no hyphenated (better-educated or better-dressed) and they do not sound natural.

2. There is a common mistake that all adjectives are gradable. In addition, lexical alternatives are not considered as way to make up for this grammar shortage.
I would appreciate your thoughts on this matter.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was asked: what is the comparative of well-educated? My answer was as follows:

1. well-educated and well-dressed are hyphenated adjectives from the adverb well, referring to a participle adjective like educated or dressed. It should be taken as a unit. Therefore if you say "better educated" you break the unit.Better alternatives would be "more experienced" or "more talented," although I know these words do not necessarily have the same meaning. So it is a compromise. In my opinion there is no hyphenated "better-educated" or "better-dressed," and they do not sound natural.

2. There is a common mistake that all adjectives are gradable. In addition, lexical alternatives are not considered as way to make up for this grammar shortage.
I would appreciate your thoughts on this matter.

"Better-educated" is natural, and it's grammatical for the same reasons as "well-educated."

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Kurdish
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Germany
Thanks Richard. This confusion probably is due to the fact that there is no lexicalisation of a hyphenated better-educated.

Status
Not open for further replies.