[Grammar] Given, being given, if given, when given?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outre

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
____ the choice of a fine home downtown and a modest one in the suburbs, the latter will win.

A. Being given
B. Given
C. If given
D. When given

My textbook says option B is correct, but I don't know why the others are wrong.

Last edited:

Outre

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I also fail to understand why a modest home ("the latter") could be given "the choice." "The choice" should be given to somebody able to think but not to a "home."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's a very poorly worded question. The finished sentence should read:

Given the choice between a fine home downtown and a modest one in the suburbs, most people [will] choose the latter.

However, you're right that b) isn't the only possible answer there. "If given" and "When given" would work too, though they would still only work if the sentence ended properly!
The only one that's not possible is a) in that scenario. It would work in:

Being given the choice between mansion and a small house would be great, and it would be a really easy decision.

Outre

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks for your explanation.

But I still don't know the meaning of "being given."

Why can't I say:

Being given the choice between a fine home downtown and a modest one in the suburbs, most people (will) choose the latter.

Could you give more information on "being given"?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Why can't I say:

Being given the choice between a fine home downtown and a modest one in the suburbs, most people (will) choose the latter.
You can.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
My textbook says option B is correct, but I don't know why the others are wrong.
Google found your textbook is 现代大学英语精读, written by two Chinese.
I would not place too much trust in the Chinese when it comes to English learning.

Outre

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I would not place too much trust in the Chinese when it comes to English learning.
I agree with you. Some textbooks do not differentiate British English and American English. Some contain very old-fashioned expressions. I would prefer ESL teaching materials.

Outre

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The only one that's not possible is a) in that scenario.

Sorry, I don't know which scenario you referred to. Could you (or someone else) tell me the whole wrong sentence?

I think "given," "being given," and "when/if given" are all omitted from "when/if XXX is (being) given."

Last edited:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Sorry, I don't know which scenario you referred to. Could you (or someone else) tell me the whole wrong sentence?
I think the scenario refers to the following sentence, although GoesStation said you could use 'Being given' there.
Given the choice between a fine home downtown and a modest one in the suburbs, most people [will] choose the latter.
'Being' is not needed before the participle 'Given', which modifies 'most people'.
I think 'being' is not needed below either.
"when/if XXX is (being) given."

Status
Not open for further replies.