HOW TO ADDRESS A LETTER THROUGH THE CHAIRMAN OF A POLITICAL PARTY TO THE GOVERNOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gattuso

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
Hello, please I just need a sample of how to write a letter through someone in authority, for instance, a political party chairman to a governor or the president. i do not need the body of the letter. All I want is just how to address it at the top of the letter before the body.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello, please I just need a sample of how to [STRIKE]write[/STRIKE] address a letter [STRIKE]through[/STRIKE] to someone in authority, for instance, to a political party chairman, to a governor or to the president. I do not need the body of the letter. All I want to know is just how to address it at the top of the letter before the body.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

You can start with:

Dear Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms + surname
Dear Governor + surname
Dear President + surname (or possibly Dear Mr President - you'll need an AmE speaker to clarify this)

I believe that, in the past in the UK, letters were sometimes addressed to "Mr Chairman" but I think that's probably outdated now. Bizarrely, if the chairman was a woman, they were addressed to "Madam Chairman". I don't know what the current PC term is - chairwoman, maybe, or possibly chairperson.

Status
Not open for further replies.