reported speech - Who shall I say called?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie.z

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
A head nurse in the hospital received a call: "could you tell me the condition of Mr. Smith in room 405. He was operated upon last week and I would like to know how he is."
The nurse checked the record and the chart and replied, "His condition is excellent and he seems to be making a steady improvement. Who shall I say called?."
The voice replied: "This is Mr. Smith in room 405. My doctors don't tell me a thing!"

"His condition is excellent and he seems to be making a steady improvement. Who shall I say called?."
Is it correct if I report the sentence above as follows?
The nurse replied his condition was excellent and that he seemed to be making a steady improvement. Then she wondered who called.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A head nurse in the hospital received a call: "Could you tell me the condition of Mr. Smith in room 405? He [STRIKE]was operated upon[/STRIKE] had an operation last week and I would like to know how he is."
The nurse checked the record and the chart and replied, "His condition is excellent and he seems to be making a steady improvement. Who shall I say called?" (Don't put a full stop after a question mark.)
The voice replied: "This is Mr. Smith in room 405. My doctors don't tell me a thing!"

"His condition is excellent and he seems to be making a steady improvement. Who shall I say called?" (Don't put a full stop after a question mark.)
Is it correct if I report the sentences above as follows?
The nurse replied that his condition was excellent and [that] he seemed to be making a steady improvement. Then she [STRIKE]wondered[/STRIKE] asked who [STRIKE]called[/STRIKE] was calling.

See above.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
No, that doesn't work. "Reply" is an intransitive verb. Try again and post below.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Jennie.z, please don't post the same question twice. You are relatively new here so your first few posts will go into moderation and have to be cleared by a moderator before they're visible. That's why there might some delay between your posting a question and it appearing on the forum. Be patient.

I merged your two threads - that's why the same post appears twice at the top of this thread.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Also, do you understand that these sentences are actually a joke?

I'm not sure why the post no longer appears twice at the top of this thread (it did when I merged the two threads) but I think the second post started with something like "There is a joke which says ...", so I think Jennie.z is aware of that. I could be wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.