Member Type
Other
Native Language
Malay
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Watching movies is one quick way to learn the language of the English. Through the movie with the English Subtitles, we not only learn grammar or grammar, but we also train our sense of hearing. Not only that, we also can practice talk in the language of the English, as did the cast in the movie that we watch. This article will explain how to quickly learn the language of the English through a movie.

If you’re tired of books and learning difficult grammar and vocabulary, then take a break and watch some classic Hollywood movies. And of course, improve your English at the same time.

So, if your teachers, friends or family members ask why you’re watching so many movies instead of reading over your notes you can simply tell them:Movies aren’t usually made for English language learners like yourself. Instead they are made for English speakers. So everything you hear is exactly how it is in reality. It’s fast paced, with realistic native accents.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Movies aren’t usually made for English language learners like yourself. Instead they are made for English speakers. So everything you hear is exactly how it is in reality. It’s fast paced, with realistic native accents.

And as such, they may not necessarily be pillars of grammatically correct English. Spoken English is full of contractions and reductions, as well as non-standard slang, speech, and dialects that may not necessarily be mainstream. The language in movies may be authentic, (assuming it's set in a relatively modern time period), but not necessarily 'correct'.

I'm not disagreeing with you that one can't learn from watching movies in a foreign language, but you shouldn't necessarily expect perfect grammar from them.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I agree with Skrej, and would like to add that subtitles can be misleading. As I pointed out in another thread they are often created by computers rather than people, and therefore they can be very wrong indeed.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with Skrej, and would like to add that subtitles can be misleading. As I pointed out in another thread they are often created by computers rather than people, and therefore they can be very wrong indeed.
And as I pointed out there, that's extremely unlikely. Not only is automated speech recognition not up to the task; subtitles are briefer summaries of spoken lines, and computers are not capable of paraphrasing speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.