Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Thailand
I have been teaching foreign students for 7 years now. I find that they all know the ABC alphabet. However, none of them ever seem to have been taught the 'baby alphabet' which is the first alphabet we all learn as kids in English schools. This tends to affect their ability to pronounce the vowels. So, they will be able to say A, E, I, O, U very easily, but will be unable to say a, e, i, o, u. When it comes to reading this is especially important. I have made a Youtube video to display this and can explain about how to use this when reading English. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bogOlqLMX0. The letter 'e' on the end of a word is the key to this as it will change the vowel sound in a word.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: The little know English baby alphabet

So, they will be able to say A, E, I, O, U very easily, but will be unable to say a, e, i, o, u.
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

I'm a little confused. Are you saying that they recognise upper-case letters but not lower-case? I've never heard of the 26 lower-case letters being called the "baby alphabet".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

So, they will be able to say A, E, I, O, U very easily, but will be unable to say a, e, i, o, u.

I understand completely what you mean, Chris. You mean they don't know how to say the 'baby alphabet' pronunciation of these letters.

Anyway, what's your question?

By the way, you've made an error in the way you've pronounced u in the song at the beginning of the video. It sounds like a schwa.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

You mean long and short vowels?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This post was the first time I'd ever seen the phrase "baby alphabet". Are you sure it's something that's taught at "English schools"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm struggling to remember back far enough to my early school days (plus I was taught to read and write at home by my parents before I started school), but I think we were simply taught "the alphabet", and the letters were described as "big letters" and "little letters".

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I remember them being called big and little letters at first, until we were weaned off those terms in favor of 'upper/lower case' and 'capital'.

I'm still confused on how the letter size (regardless of the terminology) has anything to do with pronunciation, though.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm surprised that nobody quite seems to understand this (especially you, emsr2d2) because I was certainly taught this as a kid. I really thought everyone was familiar with it.

Karate Chris is not talking about small letters, he's talking about pronouncing the letters of the alphabet not as we normally do as /ei/, /bi:/, /si:/, /di:/, /i:/, but rather as /ae/, /b/, /k/, /d/, /e/, etcetera.

He's calling it the 'baby' alphabet because it is taught to very young children, not because the letters themselves are small.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'm surprised that nobody quite seems to understand this (especially you, emsr2d2) because I was certainly taught this as a kid. I really thought everyone was familiar with it.

It's an age thing- I was taught the traditional alphabet and came across this alphabet from nephews and nieces.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France

Karate Chris is not talking about small letters, he's talking about pronouncing the letters of the alphabet not as we normally do as /ei/, /bi:/, /si:/, /di:/, /i:/, but rather as /ae/, /b/, /k/, /d/, /e/, etcetera.

He's calling it the 'baby' alphabet because it is taught to very young children, not because the letters themselves are small.

I agree with jutfrank. It seemed obvious to me what Karate Chris was talking about, even though I never learnt this myself. I don't know if it was even taught then. By the time I got into the English school system, I was way beyond learning the alphabet.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think they called it the alphabet.

Status
Not open for further replies.