Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Have I made any mistakes in this short text, which I wrote as an exercise? I'didn't use inverted commas for inner thoughts because nowadays the use of them is seen as redundant.

Bob had been commuting in his car for decades, when one morning he saw in a rear-view mirror a white car following him. That morning he didn't give it much attention, believing it could have been a pure coincidence that it was using the same route, but when he saw the same car on subsequent mornings, he started to worry. Who would be interested in an old university rector, he thought. Have I ever insulted anyone? He never cared about politics, never bothered to vote and thought that everyone who believed in democracy was a naive idiot, although he kept that thought for himself. In his forty years at the university, he couldn't remember ever having a serious quarrel with anyone, never heard a bad word about him, never said anything derogatory about his colleagues. But the two men in the car certainly had another idea about him and saw him as an enemy. Bob wanted to pull over and confront them, but he knew that they would deny to have anything to do with him. The thought of being arrested gave him shivers.

He sat at the table in his bedroom and opened a Word document to continue on his book about the Byzantine Empire, but his mind was in a whirl, and he was unable to form a coherent thought. He rose from the chair with a premonition that he was shadowed and peered through the curtain. The white car stood under his window. He flopped helplessly onto his bed and stared at the ceiling. It suddenly started to move towards him, coming ever closer. Bob wanted to ran away but was paralysed. He cried out, before the concrete slabs fell over him, squashing him like an ant.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

He kept that thought to himself.

And:

They would deny having anything to do with him.

Or:

They would claim they didn't know who he was and that they were innocent of any wrongdoing.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Second paragraph. Say:

...a premonition that he was being shadowed.

And:

...the concrete slab fell on top of him

:shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.