Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
As a subscriber to the American publication Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine for a number of years, I've lately become aware that this smokers' item is being spelt 'cigaret'.

This is clearly an editorial policy, as authors will almost certainly write the traditional cigarette.

Is this trend unique to dellmagazines.com, or is it to be found in the output of other USA publications?

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's odd to me. I've not seen it spelled like that.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've certainly never seen it, either. If I had, I'd have just assumed it was something that had slipped by a proofreader.

Some Google research seems to suggest it's a dated spelling, which sort of makes sense given the genre of the magazine. Aren't a lot of those stories in that publication written as hardboiled/noir?

I suppose it makes sense to use an antiquated spelling in that context.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Cigaret was one of the many words on the Chicago Tribune's simplified spelling list. The paper used non-standard spellings of many words for much of the twentieth century, and some other publishers adopted some of them.

I read the Los Angeles Times regularly when I lived in that city. It insisted on spelling "employee" as employe, ​which never failed to stop me in my tracks.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The company my dad worked for used "employe" as well. I think it's one of those things that was supposed to save a lot of ink. It was a big company. A lot of employees. A lot of forms.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I smoked for a few decades without ever seeing this spelling. I can't say that it would have made me feel any better about smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.