Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Would you please describe how a "somber landscape" could be? Here is a picture of it. The most confusing point about this word is that in one sense it is related to "color" in the other it is related to "mood". So I am very confused by it. With which one is this landscape connected to?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gerrythomasen/153444019

J

J&K Tutoring

Doesn't color play a part in setting a mood? I would say both aspects would apply in your example photo.

BTW, in your sentence: With which one is this landscape connected to? one of either of the prepositions should be omitted as in:

1. With which one is this landscape connected?
or
2. Which one is this landscape connected to?

#2 is the much more common usage.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Doesn't color play a part in setting a mood? I would say both aspects would apply in your example photo.

But isn't "mood" related to humans, and so figurative usage here? Can any color play a part for a "human's mood"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey

So is "somber" the thing which is both dark (lightless, gloomy) and sad? If so I don't understand why that landscape is "sad".

J

J&K Tutoring

Rather than try to use words to explain an emotion, let me ask you: How does that photo make you feel? Do you feel happy? Probably not. Do you feel sad? Probably not that either, really. More likely a bit serious or reflective: somber.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Rather than try to use words to explain an emotion, let me ask you: How does that photo make you feel? Do you feel happy? Probably not. Do you feel sad? Probably not that either, really. More likely a bit serious or reflective: somber.

So do you mean the word "somber" has two different aspect: one is being with less light or completely lightless which is the related to visual, the other is feeling serious, earnest, grave, reflective etc which is related to feelings?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So do you mean the word "somber" has two different aspects: one is being with less light or completely lightless which is [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] related to visual perception, the other is feeling serious, earnest, grave, reflective etc which is related to feelings?
Yes. The root of the word means "dark" as in the absence of light. The emotional meaning uses "dark" metaphorically.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Yes. The root of the word means "dark" as in the absence of light. The emotional meaning uses "dark" metaphorically.

So can't all literally "dark landscapes" be "figuratively dark", that is "somber", right? For example, a night landscape with beautiful stars is not "somber", right, instead it is the opposite that is "joyful", right?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So can't all literally "dark landscapes" be "figuratively dark", that is "somber", right? For example, a night landscape with beautiful stars is not "somber", right, instead it is the opposite that is "joyful", right?

I don't understand the first sentence above. The second is right.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. "Dark" is simply a description of the amount/absence of light. "Sombre" relates to the feeling you get from it.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I don't understand the first sentence above. The second is right.

I will try to explain it in a different way.

Can't all "lightless landscapes" be "figuratively dark*", that is somber, right?

Dark=literally lightless
Dark= figuratively either of these 3, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, and 4.

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/dark

In my understanding "somber" covers both "figurative dark" and "literal dark" at the same time, or simultaneously.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. "Dark" is simply a description of the amount/absence of light. "Sombre" relates to the feeling you get from it.

Would you please describe with a few sentence that feeling. This is the troubling point to me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Would you please describe that feeling [STRIKE]with[/STRIKE] in a few sentences? [STRIKE]that feeling.[/STRIKE] This is [STRIKE]the troubling point to me[/STRIKE] what I'm having trouble with.

Read post #6 again.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
But at highnoon, when they are enough light, can a place, landscape or appearance seem "somber"? I think yes, because you can still feel "serious".

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
But at high noon when[STRIKE] they are[/STRIKE] there is enough light, can a place, landscape or [STRIKE]appearance[/STRIKE] picture seem "somber"? I think yes, because you can still feel "serious".​

Colours creates mood in a picture, together with other factors like lighting, content and composition. Generally, dull, greyish colours under subdued lighting creates a sombre (somber) mood while fresh, strong colours under bright lighting gives a cheerful and lively mood. Cool colours like the blues and greens are receding colours which evoke the feeling of tranquility and introspection while warm colours like the reds and yellow (called advancing colours) give the feeling of warmth and vibrance. These are some of the principles of aesthetics which apply to the various fields of art such as painting, photography, design and architecture.

Last edited:

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Can we say that "somber (sombre)" is just a mood, and if a landscape is "somber" this is related to lighting, content and composition. So is "somber landscape" figurative but is " the man somber in the funeral" literal?

Last edited by a moderator:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
A landscape per se is not sombre as it changes with time. It is perceived in a picture captured at a particular point in time as sombre. Yes, you can say someone is sombre (serious/grim).

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
But what is the difference between a "gloomy landscape" and a "sombre landscape". Are they always the same? Is there any difference?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
They mean the same to me. There's no need to overthink it.

Status
Not open for further replies.