Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Have I made any mistakes? I tried to use "dumb waiter" in my sentences.

Jo and Tom had one of their first quarrels when he came up with an idea to put in a dumb waiter in their home.
"I don't understand why we need such a contraption?" Jo said. "I'm perfectly capable of carrying all things upstairs without any lift."
"I know that you are," Tom said. It's just that I've seen a dumb waiter at the Hills's. It looks great. Everyone is impressed when food and drinks come up as if in exclusive restaurant."
"Don't be silly," Jo said. "We hardly have anything left when the bills are paid and you are dreaming of luxury. Wake up, man! You're not a teenager anymore."

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Jo and Tom had one of their first quarrels when he came up with an idea to put in a dumb waiter in their home.
Is that before or after?

"I don't understand why we need such a contraption?" Jo said. "I'm perfectly capable of carrying [STRIKE]all things[/STRIKE] anything/any item upstairs without [STRIKE]any[/STRIKE] a lift."
"I know that you are," Tom said. It's just that I've seen a dumb waiter at the Hills's. It looks great. Everyone is impressed when food and drinks come up as [STRIKE]if[/STRIKE] they do in exclusive restaurants."
"Don't be silly," Jo said. "We hardly have anything left when the bills are paid and you are dreaming of luxury! Wake up! [STRIKE]man![/STRIKE] You're not a teenager anymore."

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Maybe I should rephrase my sentence in this way:

Jo and Tom had one of their first quarrels after he came up with an idea to put in a dumb waiter in their home.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Jo and Tom had one of their first quarrels after he came up with the idea of putting in a dumb waiter in their home.
That would be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.