Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
The rabbit and turtle

There are a rabbit and a turtle in the forest. The rabbit runs the fastest, in the opposite the turtle runs the least slowly in the forest. One day, the rabbit challenges the turtle. The rabbit say “If you win me in the race, I will go out of the forest forever”. The turtle agrees and the race starts. The turtle diligently steps by step and the rabbit thinks (that) it takes a lot of time for the turtle to finish the race. So the rabbit goes to sleep while the turtle are still running. When the rabbit wakes up, the turtle reaches to the destination.

Please correct my mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please correct my mistake.

Which one would you like us to correct? Or are you suggesting that you are certain that you have made only one mistake?

chunchuntthn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Which one would you like us to correct? Or are you suggesting that you are certain that you have made only one mistake?
Please correct my mistakes.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The rabbit and the turtle

[STRIKE]There are[/STRIKE] A rabbit and a turtle are in [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a forest. The rabbit [STRIKE]runs[/STRIKE] is the fastest runner in the forest, [STRIKE]in the opposite[/STRIKE] and the turtle [STRIKE]runs the least slowly in the forest[/STRIKE] is the slowest. One day, the rabbit challenges the turtle to a race. The rabbit says “If you [STRIKE]win[/STRIKE] beat me in the race, I will [STRIKE]go out of[/STRIKE] leave the forest forever”. The turtle agrees and the race starts. The turtle diligently steps by step and the rabbit thinks (that) it [STRIKE]takes[/STRIKE] will take a [STRIKE]lot of[/STRIKE] long time for the turtle to finish the race, so the rabbit goes to sleep while the turtle [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] is still running. When the rabbit wakes up, the turtle [STRIKE]reaches to[/STRIKE] has reached the [STRIKE]destination[/STRIKE] finish line.

Please correct my mistakes.

See above. I don't know what you meant by the part I have underlined and changed to blue.

chunchuntthn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
1. There are a rabbit and a turtle in a forest = a rabbit and a turtle are in a forest, right bro?
2. “If you win beat me in the race, I will go out of leave the forest forever”. Could I use “go out” instead of “leave”?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. There are a rabbit and a turtle in a forest = a rabbit and a turtle are in a forest. Is that right? [STRIKE]bro?[/STRIKE]
2. “If you [STRIKE]win[/STRIKE] beat me in the race, I will [STRIKE]go out of[/STRIKE] leave the forest forever”. Could I use “go out” instead of “leave”?

1. Effectively they mean the same but a native speaker would use either my version or the contracted "There's" where you used "There are". (There are plenty of other threads on the forum about "There's" versus "There are" so you should take some time to read them.)

Please don't address users here as "bro". This is not some kind of street gang and it suggests you assume the responder is male. That is not necessarily the case.

2. No, you can't replace "leave" with "go out".

chunchuntthn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
1. Effectively they mean the same but a native speaker would use either my version or the contracted "There's" where you used "There are". (There are plenty of other threads on the forum about "There's" versus "There are" so you should take some time to read them.)
Thanks, I got it.
"There is a turtle and a rabbit in a forest " is right.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

chunchuntthn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Please show me where I said that.
This is the link (that) I searched in this page. https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/threads/96411-quot-There-is-quot-versus-quot-There-are-quot
But I referred using “there’s versus there are” as a Vietnamese version because it is difficult for me to understand it clearly as a English version.

This is my result:
1. There is some milk on the table.
2. There is a pen on the table.
3. There is a pen, a pencil and a box on the table.
4. There are three pens on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.