Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In the UK—as in the rest of the free world—nobody is forced to drink anything they don't want to drink at any time of the day or night.

The terms 'coffee break' and 'tea break' are very loosely used at various times of day in different situations. 'Teatime' is in the late afternoon, but not everybody has a drink or light meal at that time.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The terms 'coffee break' and 'tea break' are very loosely used at various times of day in different situations.

Yes, but the OP asks about 'coffee time' not 'a coffee break'.

In the same way that teatime (referring to a set time) and a tea break (referring to a particular interval during which coffee is drunk) have quite distinct meanings, I'd say that the same is true when replacing tea with coffee. I think that's what the OP is asking, but I could well be completely wrong.

coffee time could be used to talk about a particular (i.e., set) time during the course of some protracted event. There's nothing about the phrase that means that it must be in the morning. The 'protracted event', as I've called it, may take place in any part of the day.

Last edited by a moderator:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Status