English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Let's not discuss the issue any more.

Okay, but J&K Tutoring's point is that the issue keeps coming up because you consistently fail in your posts to provide information about the languages that documents you ask about have been translated from. Please make sure to tell us this very important information in future posts. Thanks.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I am glad that you are willing to help me and I do appreciate that but all I can do is tell you which language a document was translated from.

I do not think anyone would expect me to get through a whole network of foreign offices just to ask the author of a document about the meaning of a few phrases or a sentence each time I found something that sounds fishy to me.

That would involve a lot of time and money.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Why can't you post a redacted image of such documents?

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Many a time I have tried sending images to this forum, to no avail.

I think our systems are not compatible.

J

J&K Tutoring

… all I can do is tell you which language a document was translated from. This is all we are asking (but have not been getting).

No one could reasonably expect that the author of these documents would be able to provide the most perfect English translation. With the original word or phrase (this must be easy enough to obtain.) and the native language information, we can do our own translation and help you choose from among perhaps many synonyms in English. You know better than most how limited/limiting on-line translations can be.

I do not think anyone would expect me to get through a whole network of foreign offices just to ask the author of a document about the meaning of a few phrases or a sentence each time I found something that sounds fishy to me.
Don't sell your work short! Your efforts go toward an understanding that will foster a better business relationship between companies/countries/cultures. Surely the originator must be willing to help in any way possible?

That would involve a lot of time and money.
I don't understand the "money" part, but it's been a week now and still no definite understanding. Isn't your client expecting results? Isn't your time worth something? We volunteer our time, but I hope you do not.

Some parting comments:
1. I understand (perhaps incorrectly, but I don't think so) that these translations are some part of your business- a business that has value. Your clients should recognize that value and be willing to invest some time and effort in making the cooperation successful. If not, then the shortcoming is on their part and they are not a client worth your time and effort. Giving clients a small task is a good way to learn if they are worth investing your time and effort. I suggest that you require the original wording from your clients before you take on the job of translating. I suspect that this time you found yourself stuck between a lazy client and willing (but hobbled) helpers.
2. The editing function of this site is not what I wish it was, but I am quite able to add .jpeg images to my posts. You should be able to scan paper documents, save them as images, and then post them. You might consider a test with something not very important. If I can do it from China, you should be able to do it from a more... advanced culture.
3. I have said it before, but I will say again that I (mostly) enjoy the challenge of your posts as they are real-world challenges in using English- not the typical 'cousins and gloves' that we get from students and the hypothetical situations in their posts.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A large part of engineering is knowing what is not important.

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to accurately translate the name of a field on a form that has no information filled in.

Whatever "test with class" means, the associated field/box is empty.

Ultimately, since there is no information being transferred, it really doesn't matter what the meaning of "test with class" is.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I have serious doubt as to the possibility of obtaining the original word or phrase from a foreign plant. I doubt It very much.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Many a time I have tried sending images to this forum, to no avail.
I think our systems are not compatible.
Would you care to elaborate? Has this been raised in our support section before?

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Let's forget about it.

lotus888

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Interesting thread. Angle stop valves are plumbing valves. "Class" might indicate type, configuration, material, size, strength or tolerance (according to the linked attachments). It may be a standard, rating, or specification-- such as ASME 4500 for temperature and pressure. You'd have to be in the industry to know what it means.

http://www.aivinc.com/Assets/flowserve-edward-cast-steel-valve-catalog.pdf

http://www.persta.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/persta_highpressure_e.pdf

"Test with class" in the report might indicate QA or QC tests, or some type of test or test result for that class of valve. It probably means something like "tested with/to class 300 specifications."

The details of post #4 seem to indicate consistency for this type of document. It is an order, quote, invoice, shipping report, or bill of lading (although a very technical one).
https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/threads/277398-test-with-class?p=1568905&viewfull=1#post1568905

--lotus

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.