Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello all users!

As I wrote here a few days ago, I was familiarising myself with the newly received valve test report regarding 5 pcs of angle stop valves.

While getting acquainted with it, I stumbled on something very strange.

The report mentions count / number - there were 5 pcs of the valves - normal.

It also mentions delivery, after which test with class is mentioned - It is strange and I don't know what it has to do with the report.

Could you help me?

Maybe the author means that the classifier witnessed / took part in the tests or the tests were performed in front of the classifier.

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
You really have not given us enough to go on Jacek1. Please post the whole passage in question.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
If possible, post a snapshot (picture) of the report. You can blot out sensitive bits if necessary.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
First of all, I would like to apologise for not having even looked up your replies over the weekend. It is good to take a break from getting up so early in the morning and have a lie-in.

I cannot insert a photo, which is why I will describe to you step by step what the document looks like.

The document has a tabular form. The first column is entitled "Order and customer details", but I don't think It is going to be of any interest to you. The 2nd column is entitled "Valve type and size details - they include the following:
type, brand, actuator (which does not exist), size, class. Next, the 3rd column is entitled "Valve materials"#, followed by the last column (in the 1st row) entitled "Test results". The last column contains the following information:

test procedure, body, backseat, low pressure side 1 and 2, high pressure side 1 and 2.

We are finally reaching the 5th column (the 1st column in the 2nd row) entitled "Delivery and pricing details" that contains the following: delivery - test with class and count - 5 (that is 5 pcs of valves).

I think all the information will do.

#The 3rd column "Valve materials" contains the following information:
body, stem, seat, gasket, packing.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
"Delivery and pricing details" that contains the following: delivery - test with class and count - 5 (that is 5 pcs of valves).
Are "test with class" and "count" two separate heading titles? If so, what info is provided for them?

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Yes, they are. They are accompanied by no other information. That is all I have.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I think "count" is pretty understandable, right?

I also think the confusing word there is "with". I can only assume that is used in the sense of "and", such that "test with class" is asking you to specify:
- test: possibly which tests the product has passed.
- class: this could either be a reference to the class of test or class of product.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I think you're right.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I imagine that there are different classes of valve. The valve is tested in accordance with the class it is supposed to be. This is listing which class the valve was tested under.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Some doubt crept into my mind as to the meaning of the word "class". Could it be that "class" might apply to classifier? The reason I assume it to mean "classifier" is that in another column of this document there is a mentions of "Class approval", followed by LR. LR stands for Lloyd's Register and is one of Classification Societies.

J

J&K Tutoring

I've been monitoring this thread for the (now) four days it has been up to see if you accidently provide the one bit of key information I have asked for many times but you never provide. If you don't know/can't guess what that is, then I can wait while you think about it- perhaps this project is not time-sensitive. I don't mind you wasting your own time waiting for a useful response, but it's frustrating to see moderators and busy users try to help you in your game of Blind Men and the Elephant. I think I can help you but I'm tired of begging you to help yourself.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I am sorry to disappoint you but I don't know what you might mean by key information. I have provided all the information I have. If you mean the source, it is unavailable. It is an A4 piece of paper in PDF, so I don't know what else I am supposed to add. I am not good at guessing what someone might have in their mind. I do appreciate other forum users' time but after a 5-day working week, one wants to relax. Everybody needs to wind down and recharge their batteries.

Last edited:
J

J&K Tutoring

I find it hard to believe that you have no idea where these valves were manufactured or by which company based in what country such that you cannot guess the original language of this report.

I'd bet a dollar against a donut that this has been translated at least once before it got into English, as are most of your posts, so our typical understanding of the usage(s) of the word class are useless.
If you truly do not know, then you will have to contact someone closer to the original to obtain a copy of that original so that we can do our own translation and choose from among the many, many synonyms of the word class. If that is not possible, then I think we will never get to the bottom of this.

On-line translators will provide only the single most common synonym, which is not always helpful in technical writing. Unless the writer understands English, they could not choose a better word than class to mean the same as their original word. You should know this by now.

Here's what I want to see the next time:

I just received a valve test report regarding 5 pcs of angle stop valves. The manufacturer is a German company, but possibly the report was generated in Polish. My English translation includes the phrase "test with class" which has me confused. The original report had "dfghjk" ​in that field. Can anyone help me find a more suitable word or phrase in English or help me understand what "test with class" means?

Last edited:

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Should I use your questioning formuła to the letter? I was about to tell you in this post that the valves come from our closest neighbour - Germany but you beat me to It.

J

J&K Tutoring

Lucky guess.

That is the very most important piece of information, yet you consistently fail to provide it until specifically asked. Is there a reason for that?
Maybe you should start a new site: Conf-UsingEnglish...

Your next step: Get the original report and let us know the original word/phrase. You may be able to help yourself from that but if not, we will do our best to help you.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
As far as this thread is concerned, I didn't know I was supposed to provide you with data on who manufactured the valves in which country. You always ask for the source. I wrote in the post 4 that it is impossible for me to insert a photo. In the same post, I described the document.

J

J&K Tutoring

I'm beginning to think you're being deliberately obtuse. Of course I don't need to know the name of the company who manufactured the valves. I don't even care what the report looks like.

What we are all trying (in vain) to get at is some clue as to how the three words "test", "with", and "class" happened to come together in a technical report and what they might mean as a phrase in English. Knowing where the report came from would be a small clue as to its original language and, most importantly, that that report was not written in English. At long last we do have that little tidbit.

Get the original report and let us know the original word/phrase. You may be able to help yourself from that but if not, we will do our best to help you.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Let it stay as it is.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Yes. Let's not discuss the issue any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.