Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello everybody!

Should it be said that an article of clothing is worn over a body or another article of clothing or it is worn on a body or another article of clothing?

It seems to me that "over a body" is preferable to "on a body", because it conveys the idea of a body being covered all over rather than in one point.

What do you think?

It's worn on the body but over another item of clothing.

(I can't think of many items of clothing that cover the whole body.)

(I can't think of many items of clothing that cover the whole body.)

Surely you haven't managed to avoid the sight of students at a supermarket or mums doing the school run in one of these delightful numbers?

Onesie

Surely you haven't managed to avoid the sight of students at a supermarket or mums doing the school run in one of these delightful numbers?

Onesie

Alas, no.

I've even had students turn up to class in them!

There are also the aptly-named coveralls, that you see people wear in industry.

Don't forget about dresses, robes and mumus, along with other similar ethnic variants (cheongsams, sareees, ao dais, thawbs, hanboks, etc.). Oh, and the burqa, the very epitome of (literally) full body coverage.

I had no idea the term 'onesie' was used for adults. I thought it only referred to those one-piece baby outfits.

Edit: Of course it's an exception, but I think the only preposition that would work with the burqa is 'over'.

Let's not forget the gimp suit.

Possibly not safe for work? We'll see if I get a reprimand from the IT department for the search query. Further investigations to be done from the safety of my home computer, not the school's.

Good clean fun if you ask me. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back