[Grammar] A man is fishing from the shore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
(In the Toeic listening test)

A man is fishing from the shore.

--------------

What does the "from" here mean? Does it mean "used to express removal or separation, as in space, time, or order"?

Why not say something like A man is fishing at/on/by the shore? I am saying so because I think the man is exactly at/on/by the shore, rather than at a distance away from the shore.

What do do you think?

-------------
(Source, the answer key)

drTvJg5.jpg

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
His fishing rod extends from the shore. The activity takes place in the water, not on the shore.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The activity takes place in the water, not on the shore.
I don't think we can say that. The man's standing on the shore and manipulating the rod and other tackle there. The hook and bobber, if he's using one, may be in the water, but my image of the activity focuses on the man on the shore.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't think we can say that. The man's standing on the shore and manipulating the rod and other tackle there. The hook and bobber, if he's using one, may be in the water, but my image of the activity focuses on the man on the shore.

Well, that may be how you view the picture (me too) but the point is that the writer of that sentence viewed it differently. That's why he chose to use from.

I'd want to say: A man is fishing on the shore.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You fish from a boat or you fish from the shore. It's about where you are standing.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Thank you all. :)

So according to the picture, "A man is fishing from the shore" and "A man is fishing on the shore" both work - it depends on how you view it.

Am I right?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you all. :)

So according to the picture, "A man is fishing from the shore" and "A man is fishing on the shore" both work - it depends on how you view it.

Am I right?
Between the two, I'd vote for "from". But if you change the order, only "on" is possible: The man is on the shore, fishing.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Post #3:
The man's standing on the shore and manipulating the rod and other tackle there. The hook and bobber, if he's using one, may be in the water, but my image of the activity focuses on the man on the shore.

Between the two, I'd vote for "from".

Seeing your post in #3, I assumed that you would choose the "on" version. :shock:
Is that because I used "on" repeatedly? Take a closer look at the verbs and noun phrases I used it with. In every case, the preposition serves to make the phrases' focus the location where the activity is occurring. In fishing from the shore, I'm focusing on the activity's origin. That works better for me when that activity is fishing.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
That works better for me when that activity is fishing.
I now know what happened. :)

As far as the picture itself is concerned, your image of the activity focuses on the man on the shore. However, when we have to focus on the man's fishing there, you will say A man is fishing from the shore.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In fishing from the shore, I'm focusing on the activity's origin.

Okay, yes. The 'angling' activity originates on the shore. The whole act of fishing kind of travels from its starting point on the shore to its target in the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.