Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Please check if there are grammar errors in this paragraph. I am unsure if I should use "will" or "would" in the last two sentences.

At this time, I am undecided of my plans: to stay in my job till I am informed of my surgery date by the hospital or to leave my job in advance of my surgery date. The hospital said they would inform me only two weeks in advance of the surgery date. If I wait for my surgery date, I can give my boss only two weeks notice of my resignation. After considering all factors, I have decided to leave my job now and give my boss six weeks notice of my resignation. That way I feel better as my boss would have more time to find a replacement for my job. Anyway I would have more free time to attend to personal matters.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please check if there are grammar errors in this paragraph. I am unsure if I should use "will" or "would" in the last two sentences.

At this time, I am unsure about what to do. Should I stay in my job till I am informed of my surgery date by the hospital or or leave my job in advance of my surgery date? The hospital said they would inform me only two weeks in advance of the surgery date. If I wait for the hospital to call me, I can give my boss only two weeks notice of my resignation. After considering all factors, I have decided to leave my job now and give my boss six weeks notice of my resignation. That way I feel better as my boss would have more time to find a replacement for me.. Also, I would have more free time to attend to personal matters.

Hm.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There's an issue with the logic. Even if you resign today, the hospital could tell you tomorrow that your surgery is in two weeks. In that case, you would still have given your employer only two weeks' notice.
The only way you can guarantee that you are giving your boss six weeks' notice is to know for certain that your surgery won't happen until at least the third week of May.

Status
Not open for further replies.