Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hi!

I am preparing for IELTS and writing some essays to improve my skills. I have answered this question, and I would be grateful if you can help me find out my mistakes.

"Some people believe that there should be a fixed punishment for each type of crime. Others, however, argue that the circumstances of an individual crime, and the motivation for committing it, should always be taken into account when deciding on the punishment.
Discuss both these two views and give your own opinion."

Some people share the idea of inflicting a certain punishment on all criminals for each kind of offence. However, other people suggest that conditions of each case should be considered while punishing people. I totally agree with the second idea, since our actions substantially depend on the circumstances we are experiencing. Therefore, it is not fair to judge people ignoring their mood and motivation.

There is no doubt that the number of people who tend to break the law should be minimised, if we want to live in a safer and a more peaceful society. Therefore, I believe goventments should have intimidating penalties to make sure an illegal act will not happen again. I believe, if a community has strict and fixed punishments for a certain type of crime, then people know how they will pay for their unlawful behaviours regardless of their conditions. This strictness of laws would make people become more obedient, since they will not have any execuse for their actions. It also makes judges’ work much easier. However, I strongly doubt that this system would bring about justice.

On the other hand, taking into account conditions of people before making the final decision could be considered to be a better way of judging. This is because, people always live under different circumstances, and these circumstances have a huge effect on their behaviours. For example, if someone makes an attempt on our lives, then we may happen to hurt or even to kill this person to protect ourselves. Therefore, our action must be considered within the scope of self defence. In my opinion, we are not totally responsible for our unlawful behaviours in this case, since we had to defend ourselves not to be hurted or killed. As a result, I find this judicial system much more fair than the other one.

To conlude, it is clear that inflicting a fixed punishment on people is not fair because reasons behind actions are vitally important to make a healty judgement. Therefore, I totally support the second idea of punishing individuals. "

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Did the topic title really say "Discuss both of these two views"? If so, I hope it wasn't written by a native speaker or a teacher of English. It's tautologous. You need either "Discuss both of these views" or "Discuss these two views".

Erbab

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
It says "Discuss both these views" in the book actually. However, I copied the question text from a different web page. I think they changed the original. I have checked the book now.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

It also makes judges' work much easier.

Erbab

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Thank you dear Tarheel, I have edited it. Anything else?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please don't edit post #1 once it has responses. It makes the responses nonsensical. Simply wait until you have plenty of responses and then consider writing the piece again, incorporating the corrections and suggestions you have been given.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

we had to defend ourselves to avoid being hurt or killed.

Isn't self-defense an absolute defense?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you dear Tarheel, I have edited it. Anything else?

That's it, I think. Pretty good!

(The word hurt is one of those dang irrregular verbs. :))

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
By the way, I wouldn't say How to Punish People. Instead, I would say How to Punish Criminals.

Erbab

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I am really sorry for my delayed answer. Thank you very much for your help. Actually I do not know what is the meaning of an absolute defence. However, self-defence is a term in English Law defined as "Self-defence is a defence permitting reasonable force to be used to defend one's self or another. This defence arises both from common law and the Criminal Law Act 1967. Self-defence is a justification defence rather than an excuse." in Wikipedia.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Self-defense is an absolute defense. In other words, you have the right to defend yourself, and if you can prove you were defending yourself you should win the case. ( Google absolute defense.)

Status
Not open for further replies.