Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1) People said corona cases will reduce once the temperature goes up in the summer.

2) People said that corona cases would reduce once the temperature went up in the summer.

3) Amy said she will give me the information in regard to this case once it has been resolved.

4) Amy told me that she would give me the information in regard to this case once it had been resolved.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1) People said the number of corona cases will reduce once the temperature goes up in the summer.
2) People said that the number of corona cases would reduce once the temperature went up in the summer.

3) Amy said she will give me the information in regard to this case once it has been resolved.

4) Amy told me that she would give me the information in regard to this case once it had been resolved.
They're grammatical.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sentence 1 would be said before the summer starts.
Sentence 2 would be said after summer starts. (It could be said whether the number of Covid cases reduced or not.)

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Sentence 1 would be said before the summer starts.
Sentence 2 would be said after summer starts. (It could be said whether the number of Covid cases reduced or not.)

But if I use "Said" without "That" then I just need to say what they said without changing the tense but if I use "That" after "Said" then I need to change the tense because these should be passive sentences. Am I correct?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It makes no difference to the tenses in the reported statement whether you use said, said that, told me or told me that.

It makes no difference whether the verbs in the reported statement are in active or passive mood.

So that means I can use I can use with present or past. It doesn't make any difference.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It makes no difference to the tenses in the reported statement whether you use said, said that, told me or told me that.

It makes no difference whether the verbs in the reported statement are in active or passive mood.

I read in the grammar book that tense needs to be changed(written by Raymond Murphy).

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Actually, I was talking about the direct and the reported speech.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Tom said New York is more lively.

Tom said that New York was more lively.

It is written that we can change the verb into the past as well.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
. . . . . . . . . .

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tom said New York is more lively.

Tom said that New York was more lively.

It is written that we can change the verb into the past as well.
Sometimes they're the same, sometimes they're different. In this example they mean the same thing:

- Tom visited New York and Miami. He said New York was more lively.
- Tom visited New York and Miami. He said New York is more lively.

Both express Tom's opinion clearly. Both are grammatical and natural. We would understand them to mean the same thing.

But:

- Tom went to New York a few years ago in the winter. It was quiet. Then he returned there last summer, when it was busy. You ask: "Was it as quiet as in the winter?" He says: "No. It was more lively."

That clearly needs to be past tense, right?

And:

- You ask Tom: "Which is livelier: Miami or New York?" He says: "New York is more lively."

That needs to be present tense, right?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tufguy, you've received valuable advice here which I hope you'll study and learn. However, you have more elementary aspects of English to master before you work on back-shifting. I'm closing this thread to encourage you to focus on some of them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.