English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: Do not follow the people who make you feel not good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by doletotodole View Post
    Based on the context, the logic would be after a period of time when my life becomes better than theirs, i would feel empowered, in this case, the original text I feel should be written as "Are you hoping that eventually you will feel empowered WHEN YOUR LIFE BECOMES BETTER THAN THEIRS? INSTEAD OF because your life is better than theirs?"

And, if the subject of not good enough is they, then the whole paragraph would make more sense.
    Oof! This is terribly written, doletotodole. Let me correct it for you:

Based on the context, the logic would be: after a period of time when my life becomes better than theirs, I would feel empowered. In this case, I feel the original text should be written as "Are you hoping that eventually you will feel empowered when your life becomes better than theirs?" instead of " ... because your life is better than theirs?".

And, if the subject of "not-good-enough" is "they", then the whole paragraph would make more sense.

The problem with the original logic is, how can someone feel empowered by virtue of a better life and at the same time he/she is made to feel not good enough.
    The idea is that it is not at the same time. The idea is that one hopes to feel empowered at a future point in time.

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Do not follow the people who make you feel not good enough.

The message is that you shouldn't let other people tell you that you're not good enough. (That you can't achieve what you want to achieve.)

Those people don't know what you are capable of, and they don't have your best interests at heart. So don't let them tell you what to do. And don't let them discourage you from doing what you want to do. (Yes, you might make mistakes, but you will learn from those mistakes.)
    Not a professional teacher

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2