Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Should I read the bold part like this : "because they utterly refused to dovetail with orthodox psychology and natural science,{such as these both were, up to the end of last century,} at any rate"?

He went on to say:These phenomena have had, however, a hard struggle to gain recognition; and the chief reason why they have had to fight so strenuously, is because they utterly refused to dovetail with orthodox psychology and natural science, such as these both were, up to the end of last century, at any rate. Professor Driesch points out that natural science and psychology have undergone a radical change since the beginning of the present century, and proceeds to show how psychical phenomena link up with "normal" natural sciences.

"The History of Spiritualism," by Arthur Conan Doyle

jacob123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Re: Should I read i bold part like this?

No. The words 'at any rate' belong within the brackets.

but your explanation seems illogical.

because they utterly refused to dovetail with orthodox psychology and natural science, such as these both were, up to the end of last century,{ at any rate}.?

Let me ask differently. Does "up to the end of last century" refer to "such as these both were" or does it refer to "they utterly refused to dovetail.."?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Please note that I have changed your thread title.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Re: Should I read i bold part like this?

at any rate goes with up to the end of the last century. I'd make brackets like this:

... dovetail with orthodox psychology and natural science, such as these both were, {up to the end of last century, at any rate}.

Status
Not open for further replies.