Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is it ever considered standard or proper English to refer to "my father" or "my mother" when speaking with a sibling who shares the same parents, or is "our" parent more correct in all cases?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

I would find it highly unnatural in English. I'm aware, though, that in other languages it's certainly done. I watch quite a lot of Spanish TV series and I've noticed that in conversations with siblings, "mi madre/padre" are used.

(I've moved this thread to the General Language Discussions as it's more about natural English usage rather than something that needs to be addressed by a teacher.)

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Right.

And in the US, siblings talking to each other are much more likely to say "Mom and Dad," rather than "our parents": Mom and Dad are having a cookout this weekend.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Right.

And in the US, siblings talking to each other are much more likely to say "Mom and Dad," rather than "our parents": Mom and Dad are having a cookout this weekend.

That's the same in the UK.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Our parents" works in some contexts. "Our parents were out of the mainstream. Nobody else's parents took their kids on summer trips behind the Iron Curtain in a VW camper!"

Status
Not open for further replies.