[General] The service is bad...(47 words)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

I asked my friend Kris to eat in restaurant A in our neighborhood but later I changed the restaurant B. These two restaurants are totally the same (offering same food, same prices of food, same taste). Then Kris asked me why I changed to restaurant B because restaurant B is far away and I said to him:

I don't like the service there, which is horrible. The waitresses there are very bad-tempered. But what aggravates the situation is that the manager there is very forceful. She obstinately and persistantly coerced me to add money to my membership card when I don't feel necessary to.

Added: If I add money (pay money to the manager) the she could get a commission from the money I add. I usually add 1000 yuan.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi.

I asked my friend Kris to eat in restaurant A in our neighborhood but later I changed it [STRIKE]the [/STRIKE] to restaurant B. These two restaurants are [STRIKE]totally[/STRIKE] exactly the same (offering the same food, same prices [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] for the food, same taste). Then Kris asked me why I changed to restaurant B because restaurant B is far away and I said to him:

I don't like the service there. [STRIKE]which[/STRIKE] It is horrible. The waitresses [STRIKE]there[/STRIKE] are very bad-tempered. But what [STRIKE]aggravates the situation [/STRIKE] makes it worse is that the manager [STRIKE]there[/STRIKE] is very [STRIKE]forceful[/STRIKE] pushy. She [STRIKE]obstinately and[/STRIKE] persistently [STRIKE]coerced[/STRIKE] persuaded me to [STRIKE]add money[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] top up the credit in my membership card when I [STRIKE]don't[/STRIKE] didn't feel[STRIKE] necessary[/STRIKE] the need to.

Added: If I add money (pay money to the manager) the she could get a commission from the money I add. I usually add 1000 yuan.

Last edited:

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What does "top up the credit" mean here? Does it mean, say, if I have 100 yuan in my card and I need to add another number, maybe 900 yuan, to make it to the top?

They have four choices, 300, 500, 1000, 2000. She just forced me to add 1000 yuan.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The amount of money remaining in your card (balance) is called your credit. To add money to your card is called to "top up". The type of card is called a debit card (as distinct from a credit card where money is "loaned" to you). You can say this is card language.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/amp/english/top-up-card

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know what "top up the credit" means. Maybe it's a British expression.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We might use "top up the credit" in a context such as the amount of money available on your mobile phone contract for you to make calls, send texts etc. Let's say that on the first of the month, you put £10 on your pay-as-you-go phone but you just noticed there's only 50p of credit left. You would need to "top up your credit" by adding some money so that your amount of available credit is, say, £10 again (you would top it up by £9.50).

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Silver, you say she coerced/forced you to add money to your membership card.

Was she holding a gun to your head?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Silver, you say she coerced/forced you to add money to your membership card.

Was she holding a gun to your head?

She made me feel like she was holding a gun to my head.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd still say "she insisted I add money to my card".

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

I think that is still too strong a word to use by a retail establishment on a customer.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It depends. If she was refusing to serve him unless he topped up his card, then she was insisting. Retail establishments are within their rights to insist on all sorts of things from their customers.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

I appreciate your help, emsr2d2. I reported this thread to our mod team, hoping to have it deleted but it is still here. I am not saying that TEDMC is wrong but I just don't understand why "....which is terrible", "aggravate the situation" is wrong. But it doesn't matter.

Here are more context about why it felt like she was putting a gun to head. She is the new manager of that restaurant and that kind of easy-going people who's so easy-going that she forgot we were first met. We chatted with each other and then a few days later she forced me to add money to my card. I still remember if was five months ago, at that time the epidemic in China has been under control. But after four months of no customers adding money to the restaurant membership card, a new manager who's under great pressure needed to do something. I think that was her reason to force me.

But I didn't like the way she communicated with me so I added money to another manager of another shop, the whole system is same so it doesn't matter if I add here or elsewhere. Then this woman knew and she blacklisted me on the phone and then asked me like my parents did "Why didn't you tell me you added money elsewhere?" I said "I didn't promise you I would add money in your restaurant and was it wrong to do it elsewhere"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I appreciate your help, emsr2d2. I reported this thread to our mod team, hoping to have it deleted but it is still here. I am not saying that TEDMC is wrong but I just don't understand why "....which is terrible", "aggravate the situation" is wrong. But it doesn't matter.

Here is more context about why it felt like she was putting a gun to my head. She is the new manager of that restaurant and that kind of easy-going person who's so easy-going that she forgot when we first met. We chatted with each other, and then a few days later she forced me to add money to my card. I still remember that it was five months ago. Since that time the epidemic in China has been under control. But after four months of no customers adding money to the restaurant membership card, a new manager who's under great pressure needed to do something. I think that was her reason to force me.

But I didn't like the way she talked to me, so I added money to another manager of another shop, the whole system is same so it doesn't matter if I add here or elsewhere. Then this woman knew and she blacklisted me on the phone and then asked me like my parents did "Why didn't you tell me you added money elsewhere?" I said "I didn't promise you I would add money in your restaurant and was it wrong to do it elsewhere"?

There are some things I don't understand. For example, how could she force you to add money to your membership card?

Here there are private clubs where you might have to have a membership. Other than that people pay for their meals with cash, a debit card, or a credit card.

They can't force you to do anything. (They certainly can't force you to top up (whatever that is).)

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I just don't understand why "....which is terrible", "aggravate the situation" is wrong.

1. I don't like the service there, which is horrible.
2. I don't like the service there. It is horrible.

No. 1 is not wrong but I thought it is better to separate it into two sentences as in No.2.

But what [STRIKE]aggravates the situation[/STRIKE] makes it worse is that the manager there is very
[STRIKE]forceful[/STRIKE] pushy.

The original is not wrong but I thought it could be improved.

I would let the teachers comment. Queries/questions on my suggested editing are always welcome.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. I don't like the service there, which is horrible.
2. I don't like the service there. It is horrible.

No. 1 is not wrong but I thought it is better to separate it into two sentences as in No.2.

But what [STRIKE]aggravates the situation[/STRIKE] makes it worse is that the manager there is very
[STRIKE]forceful[/STRIKE] pushy.

The original is not wrong but I thought it could be improved.

I will let the teachers comment.

Two things. One, I don't like the first one at all. Two, your suggestions are quite good.

Silver, I do not have a perfect memory. (Who does?)

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
There are some things I don't understand. For example, how could she force you to add money to your membership card?

Here there are private clubs where you might have to have a membership. Other than that people pay for their meals with cash, a debit card, or a credit card.

They can't force you to do anything. (They certainly can't force you to top up (whatever that is).)

You should ask the woman why she did so, Tarheel. She didn't put a gun to my head, but what she did make me feel really uncomfortable. I believe you surely experienced unpleasant things in your life, and if you still remember the feeling, then you can understand why I wasn't happy with that.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I appreciate your help, emsr2d2. I reported this thread to our mod team, hoping to have it deleted but it is still here.

It is still here because lots of members have taken the time and trouble to try and help you. Deleting the thread would mean all that time had been wasted. Other learners might well benefit from the responses. We rarely delete threads that contain useful information. We can close this thread if you want us to.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You should ask the woman why she did so, Tarheel. She didn't put a gun to my head, but what she did make me feel really uncomfortable. I believe you surely experienced unpleasant things in your life, and if you still remember the feeling, then you can understand why I wasn't happy with that.

I understand somebody making you feel uncomfortable. What I don't understand is why that means you have to give them money.
:-?

Status
Not open for further replies.