Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
An IELTS questions asked to talk about a book and said that I started reading because I was depressed because I injured myself at the gym and the doctor told me that I'd not be able to work out for six months. Since I didn't tell her why not being able to go to the gym was depressing for me I started the next sentence this way:

Just so you know, I'm a bit of a health conscious person. I go to the gym every single day except on weekends. It's one of my favorite things to do. So you can imagine how depressed I was.

I'm not sure if they sound natural in my sentence. Please let me know whether they do.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
An IELTS examiner asked me to talk about a book, and I said that I started reading because I was depressed because I had injured myself at the gym and the doctor told me that I'd not be able to work out for six months. Since I didn't tell her why not being able to go to the gym was depressing for me I started the next sentence this way:

Just so you know, I'm a bit of a health conscious person. I go to the gym every single day except on weekends. It's one of my favorite things to do. So you can imagine how depressed I was.

I'm not sure if they sound natural in my sentence. Please let me know whether they do.

I think they fit.

:up:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think "I go to the gym every single day except on weekends" is a bit odd. Five days out of seven isn't close to "every single day". Say "I go to the gym every weekday".

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Thank you for the information. I didn't know this.
In the speaking part, you need to strike a balance when it comes to formality. Don't be too casual, but also avoid being too formal.

Status
Not open for further replies.