[General] ...agonising Thanksgiving dilemma...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi, there. For me, imagination in writing is just like the filter in a fish tank and words and paintings are always a perfect combination to provide a snapshot of our minds and thoughts. Would you please proofread the sentences below and share what you imagine when you look at the painting. Any help would be appreciated. Here are the words and the painting.

*************************************************************************************
You promised you'd come this year’s "Turkey Day", and I waited all these nights only to be greeted by the moon of a tear-filled dawn.
agonising.jpg

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It really sucks seeing your eyes filled with tears. I wanna hug you and never let you go, papa. But I'm scared. One voice calls me: Papa is old, maybe this is the last holiday you will have with him. The other voice replies: No, No. It very well could be, if you bring covid to the table to share.
agonising.jpg

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Please let me know if you have found something wrong in the sentences. By the way, tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day. So happy thanksgiving to every one. It's been tough and has put a damper on our lives this year because of pandemic, but it's getting better, and I am feeling very happy now with my family now.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
You promised you'd come on this year’s "Turkey Day", and I [STRIKE]waited[/STRIKE] have been waiting all these nights only to be greeted by the moon of a tear-filled dawn.

The underlined part is a bit strange, even as a metaphor.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It's been tough and the pandemic has put a damper on our lives this year [STRIKE] because of pandemic,[/STRIKE].

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You promised you'd come on this year’s "Turkey Day", and I [STRIKE]waited[/STRIKE] have been waiting all these nights only to be greeted by the moon of a tear-filled dawn.

The underlined part is a bit strange, even as a metaphor.
Thank you for your corrections. I love when our eyes meet across the messy, toy-filled living room and we smile at each other like we're the happiest family in the world. We Chinese believe that the moon on the 15th day of 8th lunar month is the biggest, fullest and brightest of the year and gives it the meaning of reunion and the man’s face in the painting reminded me of the moon of a tear-filled dawn-an epitome of agonisingThanksgiving dilemma. Yeah, it's used as a metaphor.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It really sucks seeing your eyes filled with tears.

Is that really what you want to say? It sounds juvenile.

You could also say: I hate seeing you cry.

I want to hug you and never let you go, Papa. But I'm scared. One voice calls me: Papa is old.

That was the start of a run-on sentence.

M
aybe this is the last holiday you will have with him. The other voice replies: No, No. It very well could be, if you bring covid to the table to share.
Are there quotes there? If there are, they need quotation marks. If not, you don't.

Wanna is only correct if you're writing a song.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please let me know if you have found something wrong in the sentences. By the way, tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day. So happy Thanksgiving to everyone. It's been tough and has put a damper on our lives this year because of pandemic, but it's getting better, and I am feeling very happy now with my family [STRIKE]now[/STRIKE].
Thank you, Rodgers! Best wishes to you, too!

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Are there quotes there? If there are, they need quotation marks. If not, you don't.

Wanna is only correct if you're writing a song.

Thank you. I like your sentence-I hate seeing you cry. Sometimes it is not easy for us foreigners to figure out the best way to express something in a certain context. You have many alternatives to choose from. So I think it is really important for us to read more books and strengthen the sense of English.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am fairly sure Thanksgiving is not an official holiday in China. But do some Chinese celebrate Thanksgiving anyway? (That's new to me.)

Last edited:

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I am fairly sure Thanksgiving is not an official holiday in China. But do some Chinese celebrate Thank anyway? (That's new to me.)

Yes, we do. We learn to be thankful and grateful in our lives, especially this year.
Thank you ,Tarheel and other teachers here. You are so helpful and great. I mean you help us learn English for free for so long. All working staff here are heroes in my eyes. You are all good Samaritans. Thank you and happy Thanksgiving!

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
This has been an awful year for so many.

Exactly. I am sure many people will be lonely without the physical contact of loved ones. It's sad, frustrating and exhausting at times. This should have been under better control sooner. Anyway, I'd say there's more positive feelings than negative, because at least we're here talking with each other in this lovely place–a home for our English learners. Thank you, Tdol, for anything you have done for us and best wishes to you!

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This has been an awful year for so many.
Yup! That's why I agree with Rodgers.

And here in the US, there's a lot I'm thankful for. The civil rights movement has been revived. We fired a president. The world is making progress toward a cure.

None of that compares with the Kinks' 2019 reunion, of course. But it's not bad!

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yup! That's why I agree with Rodgers.

And here in the US, there's a lot I'm thankful for. The civil rights movement has been revived. We fired a president. The world is making progress toward a cure.

None of that compares with the Kinks' 2019 reunion, of course. But it's not bad!

Haha, I am enjoying the song 'Arthur' by The Kinks on Spotify now. I like the lyrics: ... And now we see your children sailing off in the setting sun to a new horizon where there's plenty for everyone... Wow, so poetic! It reminds me of many other pop and rock groups in the period of British Invasion, such as the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, the Who.

By the way, a Kinks tour is not out of the question in 2020?!:-D

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Haha, I am enjoying the song 'Arthur' by The Kinks on Spotify now. I like the lyrics: ... And now we see your children sailing off in the setting sun to a new horizon where there's plenty for everyone... Wow, so poetic! It reminds me of many other pop and rock groups in the period of British Invasion, such as the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, the Who.

By the way, a Kinks tour is not out of the question in 2020?!:-D
That would be fun! I ushered for them in 1969. They sang "Aurthur."

Ray Davies is one of my favorite song writers.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Wow, lucky you. Has the kinks had a kind of its anniversary release of their landmark record or something in 2020?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Wow,lucky you! Did the Kinks have a kind of anniversary release of their landmark record or something in 2020?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The brothers set their differences aside a couple of years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.