Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Hello everyone!

I am doing an assignment in American Literature and encountered the idiom "Dog my Cats!"

My questions is - Does the idiom belong to a certain type of slang?
For example, in "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" it is used by Jim, the escaped slave.
Is it a part of the African American Vernacular English (AAVE)?

Thank you!

Is it a part of [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] African American Vernacular English (AAVE)?

You might hear it occasionally in my region from an older white person with Appalachian roots. If it was ever part of AAVE, it was a very long time ago.

Hello everyone!

I am doing an assignment on American Literature and encountered the idiom "Dog my cats!"

My questions is - Does the idiom belong to a certain type of slang?
For example, in "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" it is used by Jim, the escaped slave.

That expression was known in the days of Mark Twain. (I had to google it.) It's considered a mild oath. I don't think it's used much these days.

Also unheard of here in Canada.

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

I am doing an assignment in American Literature and encountered the idiom "Dog my cats!"

My questions are: Does the idiom belong to a certain type of slang?

Maybe.

Maybe.

Thank you!
My dad used to say it all the time when he wanted to sound folksy — with "Well" in front of it.

I like "Shiver me timbers".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back