Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi there. Would you please proofread the following text? Any help would be appreciated.

“I see father putting a book wrapped in oiled leather into a crevice. The scene becomes blurry, and then a feeling of many years, maybe thousands, passing. I see my grandfather, but no, it’s not him. There are others there with him, and they call him Yi Yang, but a voice tells me he’s Rui; his daughter Meili is there too, but they call her Debra. I’m confused by these name changes. More confusing is another girl with mother’s name, Jingying; she and Debra look like sisters, twins, but not quite identical. Somehow I know that they are but at the same time that they are not sisters. When I look at Debra, the voice says, ‘made’, and when I look at Jingying, the voice says, ‘born’. I’m not sure what all this means.”

Everyone else looks confused too, but Gan’s expression changes to one of enlightenment. “I think I know. Your grandfather and Rui were working on ways to give Rui autonomous mobility. When I left, they had already created machines in which Rui could put part of his mind and move about. They made one for Meili too, but the machines were too limited to be a permanent solution, and so, the work continued. Somehow, they must have found a way to make human bodies in which to put their minds.”

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
From the context, I'd take the commas off around Yi Yang.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I have corrected it. So is there any room to improve, do you have any other suggestions?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I see Father putting a book wrapped in oiled leather into a crevice.

A crevice. Where?

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I see Father putting a book wrapped in oiled leather into a crevice.

A crevice. Where?

Thank you for reminding me. As for 'a crevice', I mean a crevice in a rock wall.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
A crevice is a crack in a wall. I think you mean a niche.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
A crevice is a crack in a wall. I think you mean a niche.

Yeah. That is what exactly what I want to say: Father put a book wrapped in oiled leather into a crack. Is it acceptable or possible?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, I think crevice is better. However, people might not understand what you are saying. (It's not a word I see every day.) Of course, context might tell the reader that. (Obviously, I don't see that context here.)

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi there. Would you please proofread the following text? Any help would be appreciated.

“I see father putting a book wrapped in oiled leather into a crevice. The scene becomes blurry, and then a feeling of many years, maybe thousands, passing. I see my grandfather, but no, it’s not him. There are others there with him, and they call him Yi Yang, but a voice tells me he’s Rui. His daughter Meili is there too, but they call her Debra. I’m confused by these name changes. More confusing is another girl with Mother’s name, Jingying. She and Debra look like sisters, twins, but not quite identical. Somehow I know that they are but at the same time that they are not sisters. When I look at Debra, the voice says, "Made," and when I look at Jingying, the voice says, "Born". I’m not sure what all this means.[STRIKE][/STRIKE]

Everyone else looks confused too, but Gan’s expression changes to one of enlightenment. “I think I know. Your grandfather and Rui were working on ways to give Rui autonomous mobility. When I left, they had already created machines in which Rui could put part of his mind and move about. They made one for Meili too, but the machines were too limited to be a permanent solution, and so, the work continued. Somehow, they must have found a way to make human bodies in which to put their minds.”
Autonomous mobility?

Be careful with quotation marks. Misplacing them can confuse readers.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Autonomous mobility?

Be careful with quotation marks. Misplacing them can confuse readers.

As for 'Autonomous mobility', I mean: Rui, a robot with a sythetical intelligence, has gained the ability of the freedom of movement without the control of human beings.

By the way, I placed the first paragraph in a quotation mark. I mean the whole paragraph is the words said by Lanhua, the daughter of Jingying.

PS:
You said, "The American comedian and filmmaker Woody Allen made a movie where he says, 'I've never paid for sex,' and the woman says, 'Yes you just have. You just didn't know it'." What is the movie where he says that? Is it 'Manhattan'?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You said, "The American comedian and filmmaker Woody Allen made a movie where he says, 'I've never paid for sex,' and the woman says, 'Yes you just have. You just didn't know it'." What is the movie where he says that? Is it 'Manhattan'?

I just Googled it. Apparently, it's from Shadows and Fog (1991).

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't get the "put part of his mind" part.
:-?

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I don't get the "put part of his mind" part.
:-?

It's kind of a science fiction. So at first, Rui was invented accidentally with his mind dwelling in a very big computer. Later, Rui's inventor, Gan's father, tried to transfer Rui's mind to a small human-shaped robot with sythetical intelligence. But the process was full of turns and twists. After the trial and error, Gan's father could put part of Gan's mind into the core brain of robot. The research work was still going on at that time...

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's kind of [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] science fiction. So at first, Rui was invented accidentally with his mind dwelling in a very big computer. Later, Rui's inventor, Gan's father, tried to transfer Rui's mind to a small human-shaped robot with synthetic intelligence. But the process was full of twists and turns. After much trial and error, Gan's father could put part of Rui's mind into the core brain of a robot. The research work was still going on.

The term mind is an abstract concept, just as personality is. If you could move part of one from one place to another and did so it would be essentially changed.

Assuming Rui is real and you could transfer him from a mainframe computer to a robot, if you transferred only part of him it wouldn't be Rui anymore.

Are we writing a science fiction story? Is Rui an android?

Last edited:

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yeah, a sci-fi. Yes, you are right. It wouldn't be Rui anymore if you transferred only part of his mind. However, the process succeeded finally. I mean Rui's mind was transferred to the robot completely.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's kind of a science fiction. So at first, Rui was invented accidentally with his mind dwelling in a very big computer. Later, Rui's inventor, Gan's father, tried to transfer Rui's mind to a small human-shaped robot with sythetical intelligence. But the process was full of turns and twists. After the trial and error, Gan's father could put part of Gan's mind into the core brain of robot. The research work was still going on at that time...

Do you mean Gan's mind or Rui's?

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Oops, my mistake. I mean Rui's.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As for 'Autonomous mobility', I mean: Rui, a robot with a sythetical intelligence, has gained the ability of the freedom of movement without the control of human beings.

Aha.

By the way, I placed the first paragraph in a quotation mark. I mean the whole paragraph is the words said by Lanhua, the daughter of Jingying.

Aha again!

PS:

Ems beat me to it. (I only come here on days that start with T or S.)
Carry on!

Status
Not open for further replies.