[Grammar] Is it possible to make questions using negative adverbs? (Never, hardly ever, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karin2021

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Peru
Current Location
Peru
For example? What time do you never get up? What time do you hardly ever get up?
It is not common in Spanish, but I think it's possible, but what about in English?
I would really appreciate all your answers.
Thank you!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We wouldn't ask the question with "neither" or "hardly ever". There would be far too many possible answers! I never get up at 0443, and 0412, and 0517, and 0926, and 1525 and many more!!!! It's far more likely that you would ask someone what time they usually/always get up.

However, if you change the theme of the question, they're possible.

What food would you never eat?
What fruit do you hardly ever eat?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

Great question, Karin.

Yes, sometimes when one finds it difficult to believe something, one might use "never." I have made up this dialog(ue).

Mona: I got angry at work today and said a bad word to a colleague. I immediately apologized.
Juan: Wow! That's terrible. I am shocked that you would lose your temper like that! Shame on you. I don't know whether I want to be your friend anymore.
Mona: Do you never lose your temper? C'mon. Tell me the truth now.
Juan: Well, yes, two years ago, I did lose my temper with someone. So I guess that I shouldn't judge you so hard. I'm still your friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.