Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What promising the black voters results? The monopolization of the three companies are promising (making certain) the destiny of the block voters?

Is the speaker a native English speaker? I have no clue what "TIME TO STOP ORDERING AMAZON GET OFF GOOGLE AND FAKEBOOK" means.

DaisyMae, Bag of FlourRainbow tweeted:

With Amazon Google and Facebook trying to monopolize our country promising the black voters results. I only see rich people who own these companies becoming richer and keeping the black voters where they already are. TIME TO STOP ORDERING AMAZON GET OFF GOOGLE AND FAKEBOOK

Source: Twitter: https://twitter.com/GMA/status/1357311532070223873

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Some native speakers don't know how to write a proper sentence. Your Tweeter is one of them.

If you insert "and" before the bold passage and add a little punctuation, you should be able to make sense of it.

The upper-case passage means "Stop ordering from Amazon! Don't use Google or Facebook!"

Generally speaking, when you see a passage in all caps, you can stop reading anything from that writer.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
GoodTaste, please stop posting quotes from social media unless you are attempting to correct them as a language exercise—in which case post them here in General Language Discussions.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What does "promising the black voters results" mean? Does it mean that the monopolization [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] by the three companies [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] is [STRIKE]promising (making certain)[/STRIKE] affecting the destiny of the black voters?

Is the [STRIKE]speaker[/STRIKE] writer a native English speaker? I have no clue what "TIME TO STOP ORDERING AMAZON GET OFF GOOGLE AND FAKEBOOK" means.

DaisyMae, Bag of FlourRainbow tweeted:

[STRIKE]With[/STRIKE] Amazon, Google and Facebook are trying to monopolize our country, promising the black voters results. I [STRIKE]only[/STRIKE] see only the rich people who own these companies becoming richer and keeping the black voters where they already are. TIME TO STOP ORDERING FROM AMAZON. GET OFF GOOGLE AND FAKEBOOK!

See above.

I wouldn't use any tweets to try and learn English.

Last edited:

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
See above.

I wouldn't use any tweets to try and learn English.

Yes. Tweets are not for learning English, but they offer clues to understand the writers. Here's a case of how to correctly understand bad English. Too many people in the world are poorly educated yet now and then you have to understand them.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. Tweets are not for learning English, but they offer clues to understand the writers. Here's a case of how to correctly understand bad English. Too many people in the world are poorly educated yet now and then you have to understand them.
I don't think it's important to understand DaisyMae. I agree with Ems and Goes. Tweets will just mislead you by teaching you bad English. That won't help you learn to communicate. DaisyMae is a bad communicator.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I strongly agree with GoodTaste. Really advanced learners should be able to understand a wide range of registers of English.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you are going to keep reading social media posts in an attempt simply to understand them, why don't you post them with your understanding and suggest how you would correct them?

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I don't think it's important to understand DaisyMae. I agree with Ems and Goes. Tweets will just mislead you by teaching you bad English. That won't help you learn to communicate. DaisyMae is a bad communicator.

Yes, I agree that this DM is a bad communicator.
Presently I follow Joe Biden, Richard Horton (editor in chief of the Lancet), Scientific American... all of them tweet good English. This DM's comment was following Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen's tweet (whose English is not bad), that is why I needed to get her.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If you are going to keep reading social media posts in an attempt simply to understand them, why don't you post them with your understanding and suggest how you would correct them?

That is a good idea. But in the case of the OP, I was even not sure whether she's a native speaker of English. If she's not, correcting her would be like a wild goose chase.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That is a good idea. But in the case of the OP, I was even not sure whether she's a native speaker of English. If she's not, correcting her would be like a wild goose chase.

I disagree. It doesn't matter whether she's a native English speaker or not. It's simply good practice for you. It's not as if you're going to send a message to the offending tweeter, pointing out their mistakes!

The use of "wild goose chase" isn't really natural there, by the way. Have a look at the definition again.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
People who write whole sentences in capital letters on social media are often not very good at punctuation.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I strongly agree with GoodTaste. Really advanced learners should be able to understand a wide range of registers of English.
I do, too. But GoodTaste, are you a really advanced learner? You needed help untangling that tweet.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I do too, but that means taking some native speakers with a pinch of salt, especially on social media.

Status
Not open for further replies.